COVID-19 Limited Operations
The National Park Service (NPS) is working service wide with federal, state, and local public health authorities to closely monitor the COVID-19 pandemic and using a phased approach to increase access on a park-by-park basis. Based on guidance from the White House, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and state and local public health authorities, access to the park is as follows:
Open on FRIDAYS, SATURDAYS, & SUNDAYS ONLY:
- Entrance station and fee collection activities
- Visitor center parking lot (9:00 am - 5:00 pm)
- Visitors services at the visitor center (9:00 am - 4:30 pm)
Open Every Day:
- All hiking trails
- For daytime exercise and outdoor recreational experience
- Beach and shoreline areas
- For hiking, ocean recreation and fishing (following state regulations). With the exception of Keoneʻele cove at Hōnaunau which is closed to protect natural and cultural resources
- Restroom facilities
- Royal Grounds & Puʻuhonua
- MONDAY-THURSDAY: Park gates, entrance station, parking lot, visitor center services
- HPPA bookstore
- Picnic area road
- The picnic area is accessible to pedestrians only. The road to the picnic area remains closed. Picnic area amenities such as picnic tables and grills are unavailable at this time. Group gatherings larger than 10 people are prohibited.
- All programs, interpretive talks, and walks
- Commercial and special use permits
While the listed areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, a return to full operations will continue to be phased, and services may be limited. When recreating, please follow local area health orders, practice Leave No Trace principles, and avoid crowding and high-risk outdoor activities.
The CDC has offered guidance to help people recreating in parks and open spaces prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We will continue to monitor all park functions to ensure that visitors adhere to CDC guidance for mitigating risks associated with the transmission of COVID-19 and take any additional steps necessary to protect public health.