Do I need a permit?

Most visitors do not need a permit.
Permits are needed for activities beyond a typical visit to the park by a family or individual. At the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island, they fall into two categories: Film Permits & Special Use Permits.


Commercial Filming & Still Photography

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CRF Part 5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.

Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.

As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park’s Permit Office (646) 356-2107 or email for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?

Currently, the National Park Service is not issuing commercial filming permits, but is in the process of evaluating how best to regulate filming activities that affect visitors and park resources. All applicable laws and regulations governing activities and public use in parks still apply, including park hours and areas open and closed to the public. Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, and other staff associated with commercial filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors still apply to filming activities even if no permit is needed for their activity. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Are filmers still required to pay fees to film in parks?

As of January 22, 2021, the National Park Service is no longer collecting application or location fees, or cost recovery for filming.

Special Use Permits

Download the Special Use Permit
Required for organizing and performing activities or assemblies which provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. Special use permits are also needed for activities that require National Park Service staff to protect park resources, the public interest, or both.

Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • ceremonies
  • performances
  • festivals
  • cultural programs

Filing a permit application alone does not grant you the right to your activity. Permit applications may be approved or rejected by the park. The $50 fee is nonrefundable, whether your application is approved or denied.

Permit applications must be submitted at least five (5) business days in advance.
The park requires permit applications to be submitted at least five (5) business days before the proposed event.

Permits are reviewed & coordinated through the park’s Permit Office (646) 356-2107 or email.

Permit Application Fee
Once a permit application is submitted, you will be charged a nonrefundable $50 application fee. This fee will not be returned even if your application is rejected. The $50 application fee may be waived for those submitting requests for school band, choir or dance performances and for certain ceremonies, such as reenlistments.

First Amendment Activities
Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all First Amendment activities require special use permits. The National Park Service may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted.

Application Submittal
Please read the application carefully before filling it out. Special Use Permit applications and Filming Permit applications may be submitted via email or sent via US Postal Service to:

Statue of Liberty National Monument
Attn: Permits
Liberty Island
New York, NY 10004

Last updated: February 4, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Liberty Island
New York , NY 10004


212 363-3200

Contact Us

Stay Connected