Frequently Asked Questions

1. When was Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument established?
Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument was established on August 24, 2016 by President Obama as the 413th unit of the National Park Service.

2. How was the Monument established?
President Obama used the Antiquities Act to establish the monument in Presidential Proclamation 9476. The Antiquities Act was passed by the United States Congress and signed into law by President Theodore Roosevelt on June 8, 1906.

3. Are there any fees?
We are fee free! There are no fees to enter and enjoy our park. Learn more about planning for a trip to Katahdin Woods and Waters NM.

4. What is the difference between a national monument and a national park?

Both designations are part of the National Park Service. National Monuments are established through Presidential proclamation using the Antiquities Act. National Parks are established through Congress and enabling legislation.

5. Can I make reservations for campsites?
Reservations are highly recommended and available through Follow the steps on our camping page. At this time there are minimal primitive camping opportunities in the monument.

6. Where is "the monument"?
Unlike the Washington Monument, Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument does not contain a commemorative obelisk, statue or other structure. National monuments are one type of designation for a National Park Service unit and may be proclaimed by the President under the Antiquities Act of 1906 or established by Congress.

7. How big is the monument?
The Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument encompasses 87,500 acres in Penobscot County, Maine and is made up of 13 parcels of land donated by Elliotsville Plantation Inc. & Roxanne Quimby, owner of Burt’s Bees.

8. Can I have a campfire in the monument?
Campfires are allowed only in designated locations and with a valid Maine Forest Service Campfire Permit unless in an authorized location. Designated locations are fire rings at established campsites and IAT lean-tos. Campfires are authorized without a permit at the Lunksoos and Sandbank Stream campsites.

9. Where do I get a campfire permit?
You can get a free permit before your visit by calling the Northern Regional office of the Maine Forest Service at (207) 435-7963.

10. What is the dog policy in the monument?
Dogs are allowed on trails in the monument and must be on a leash no longer than 6ft (2m) at all times. Please read about pets at Katahdin National Monument before you visit. Dogs and pets are not allowed in or around the camping huts.

11. What are the access routes to the monument? How do I get there?
Directions can be found on our page about directions and transportation.
There are 3 official access routes into the Monument:

  • Swift Brook Road: For the south entrance and the Katahdin Loop Road
  • Messer Pond Road: For the north entrance
  • American Thread Road: For access to the Seboeis parcel

12. Where can I get a NPS passport stamp?
National Park Passport Stamps can be obtained at the following locations. We are a park in progress. There is no NPS visitors center at this time.

  • Shin Pond Village 1489 Shin Pond Road, Mt. Chase, ME

  • Lumbermen’s Museum 61 Shin Pond Rd Patten, ME 04765

13. Do I need a permit to film?
Commercial filming and still photography, as well as student filming projects require a special use permit (43 CFR part 5). Read more about special use permits at Katahdin Woods and Waters and submit an application before your vsit.

Last updated: March 29, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 446
Patten, ME 04765



Contact Us