Permits & Reservations


Visit this webpage (updated daily) for the current list of what's open and closed, and the hours of operation.


Entry Fees and Permit Types

four lines of cars and buses waiting to enter the park at an entrance station
South Entrance Station on a busy day.

Entry Fees
Advanced Reservations Are Not Required

This fall, you can pay the entrance fee and/or buy annual passes at the park's three entrance stations:

Or from locations in the gateway community of Tusayan (South Rim)

Reservations for park Lodging
Reservations for tent and RV Campgrounds


Hikers taking a break on Bright Angel Trail.
Winter hikers taking a rest on Bright Angel Trail

Backcountry Permits

Backcountry Permits are required for:

  • Overnight hiking
  • Overnight horseback riding
  • Overnight cross-country ski trips
  • Off-river overnight hikes by river trip members
  • Overnight camping at rim sites other than developed campgrounds
  • North Rim overnight camping during the winter season

People rafting on the Colorado River.
Rafters on the Colorado River.

Colorado River Trip Permits

River Permits are required for all non-commercial (private) river trips.

  • Permits for 2-5 Day Trips that launch from Diamond Creek are available to the public starting 1 year in advance and are distributed on a first-come first-serve basis.
  • Permits for 12-25 Day Trips that launch from Lees Ferry are made available to the public through a WEIGHTED LOTTERY.
Two people getting married on the rim of Grand Canyon.
Two people getting married on the rim of Grand Canyon.

Special Use Permits

Grand Canyon National Park is home to many beautiful landscapes which make it a popular place for weddings and special events.

Visit this webpage to learn how to schedule:

  • Facilities
  • Weddings, and family reunions
  • Special events
  • Group rim to rim activities
  • First Amendment activities
  • Note: The scattering of human ashes from cremation is now prohibited within Grand Canyon National Park and no permits will be issued for this activity.
Filming happening at Grand Canyon National Park.
Commercial film crew working in the park

Filming/Photography Permits

Generally filming permits are required and are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording when they involve props, models, professional crews, and casts or set dressings.

Permits are issued to ensure the protection of resources and to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses. Permits are also required for access to areas normally closed to the visiting public.
Read more....

The Use of Drones is Prohibited

Currently, the use of drones is prohibited in Grand Canyon and all National Parks. Detailed information about the policy is available here.

A commercial bus.
A commercial bus.

Commercial Use Authorizations
(For Tour Operators)

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a permit that authorizes suitable commercial services for park visitors within Grand Canyon National Park. The term of a CUA may not exceed 2 years and no preferential right of renewal or similar provisions for renewal may be provided.

Grand Canyon National Park authorizes a variety of commercial services: transportation/ motor tours, bicycle tours, guided hikes and overnight backpacking and equipment rental/ delivery.

Visit this link to learn more...

Commercial river rafting.
Commercial river rafting.

Requirements For
Commercial River Outfitters

Commercial River Operating Requirements

(1.5 MB PDF File - Updated January 2022)

Botany research happening at Grand Canyon National Park.
Botanist working in Grand Canyon National Park.

Scientific Research Permits

  • All studies in Grand Canyon National Park, large or small, must have their own Research & Collecting Permit which is obtained through a proposal and review process that requires approximately 90 days. Details >

Last updated: September 10, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 129
Grand Canyon, AZ 86023



Contact Us