Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to many common, and some not-so-common questions asked by our visitors. If you feel we've left one out, please let us know!


Facilities & Services

What facilities or services are available in the park?
Apart from the visitor centers, campgrounds, and toilets, there are no facilities or services in Canyonlands. Gas, groceries, dining, lodging, and other amenities are located in nearby towns. Read more about area goods and services.

When are the visitor centers open?
Visitor centers at Island in the Sky and The Needles are open daily, spring through fall. The Needles Visitor Center closes in winter. Between early January and early March, Island in the Sky Visitor Center is open Friday through Tuesday (closed Wednesday and Thursday). Hans Flat Ranger Station at The Maze is open daily year-round. Read more about operating hours and seasons.
Do you accept checks?
Yes. We take personal, business, and travelers checks for entrance fees and tour fees. We accept travelers checks for bookstore purchases. All checks must be drawn in US dollars from a US bank. Personal checks $50 and over must include a social security number. Business checks $50 and over must include a tax ID number.
Do you accept credit cards or debit cards?
Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express for entrance fees and tour fees. You may use your Visa, MasterCard, and Discover for bookstore purchases.
Can I get information mailed to me?
Yes. Contact us to request mailed information. You can save our printing costs by downloading brochures and newspapers from the website. Print them at home, and bring them with you to the park.
Where can I get extra brochures?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstore in our visitor center and sells the official Canyonlands National Park brochure. You can visit them online at
Where can I buy an item I saw in your visitor center?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor centers. Visit them online at
Does the park close at night?
No. The park never closes. Canyonlands is a great place for stargazing.
Can I get an entrance fee waiver?
Yes. If you are an educational group whose visit is educational rather than recreational, you can apply for an entrance fee waiver.
What is the weather?
You can get a general idea of seasonal conditions, temperature and precipitation averages, and a current forecast on our weather page.

Are there public phones in the park?
Yes. There are pay phones available outside the Island in the Sky and The Needles visitor centers. There are no pay phones at The Maze.

Will my cell phone work in Canyonlands?
Maybe. You may find limited coverage in some areas of the park. In many areas, coverage is nonexistent. Do not count on being able to receive service. Read more about area goods and services.

Back to Top



Where are the campgrounds?
Canyonlands has two campgrounds, one at Island in the Sky and one at The Needles. There is no developed campground at The Maze.

What kind of facilities are at the campgrounds?
The Needles Campground has 26 sites with fire rings, picnic tables, bathrooms, and running water.

Island in the Sky Campground has 12 sites with fire rings, picnic tables, and toilets (no running water).

Can I reserve a campsite?
You can reserve some individual sites and all group sites at The Needles. All sites at Island in the Sky are first-come, first served. Make reservations for The Needles Campground at

When do the campgrounds fill?
Fill times vary throughout the year. During spring and fall, both campgrounds often fill early in the morning. During summer and winter, they may not fill at all.

Are there RV hookups in the campgrounds?
No. There are campgrounds outside the park that have RV hookups. Read about camping options outside the park.

Is there an RV dump station in the park?
No. There are dump stations outside the park. Read about options outside the park.

What's the maximum RV length in the campgrounds?
On average, campgrounds will accommodate RVs up to 28 feet long. The Needles has a few sites that will accommodate longer vehicles.

Back to Top



Can I bring my pet to Canyonlands?
Yes, but there are limits on where you can take your pet. Pets are allowed only at developed campgrounds, on paved roads and parking lots, and on the Potash/Shafer Canyon road between Moab and Island in the Sky. Read more about pets.

Back to Top


Backcountry & River Permits

How do I get a backcountry permit?
You can get backcountry permits online or at visitor centers. You can reserve permits in advance.

What kind of permit do I need?
You need a backcountry permit for:

When can I make a reservation?
You can make a reservation no more than four months, and no less than two days, prior to your start date. Please visit the backcountry trip planner for more information.

How do I make a reservation?
You can make reservations online at

Can I make a reservation by mail, email, or fax?
Yes, but you may not get the sites you want. We will process your request when we receive it. Your requested sites may not be available if someone reserved the same site online before we process your printed reservation. The quickest way to ensure your preferred sites and dates are held for you is to make the reservation online.

Can I reserve a permit over the phone?
No. We do not accept reservations by phone.

Can I walk into a visitor center to get a permit?
Yes. If there are unreserved permits, you can get one at the visitor center the day your trip begins, or one day before.

Is there a list for cancellations?
No. We do not maintain a waiting list for cancelled reservations. All cancelled reservations are first-come, first-served on the reservations website

Where can I get a good map?
We offer several on our maps page. You can get full-size, printed maps from the Canyonlands Natural History Association.

What are the requirements for a backcountry trip?
Read the backcountry regulations.

How do I get a river permit?
The reservation office in Moab issues river permits, and you may reserve these in advance online at

Is there a lottery for river permits?
No. Essentially, river permits are available first-come, first-served after the first business day in January for each calendar year. There are no daily launch limits in Canyonlands, so there is no need to submit mulitiple requests for the same date. If you submit a request, you will get a permit for any date you choose.

What is the river flow?
Check river flows at the US Geological Survey or by calling (801) 539-1311.

What companies offer shuttle services?
For a list of shuttle services to destinations throughout the area, visit

What are the requirements for a river trip?
river regulations.

Return to Top


Permits & Regulations

Can I get married at Canyonlands?
Yes. You will need a wedding permit.

Can I film a movie at Canyonlands?
All commercial photography and filming requires a special-use permit.

Can I scatter ashes at Canyonlands?
Yes. You will need a memorialization permit.

Can I fly my drone at Canyonlands?
No. Launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft (such as drones, quadcopters, or model airplanes) is prohibited. Read more about the prohibition on drone use.

Can I ride my ATV / OHV at Canyonlands?
No. Off-highway vehicles (ATVs, OHVs, etc.) are not allowed. Motorcycles must licensed and equipped for interstate travel. Read more about park regulations.

Back to Top


Employment & Volunteer Opportunities

Can I volunteer at Canyonlands?
Yes! The National Park Service needs volunteers throughout the year to assist with all aspects of park management. More about volunteering

How do I get a job at Canyonlands?
Canyonlands hires a variety of both seasonal and permanent positions. More about working with us

Back to Top

Last updated: July 21, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us