History & Culture

  • A portrait of Mary DeButts

    The people who have called this land home.

  • A white two story farmhouse

    There are many historic structures at Oxon Hill Farm

  • drawing of enslaved people working in the field

    Oxon Hill Farm has a varied and interesting past.


For hundreds of years, the land that today is Oxon Cove Park, has attracted men and women who have recognized its agricultural potential. Beginning in the early 19th century, Oxon Cove Park witnessed changing land patterns typical of the Southern Maryland region. These changes began with the Debutts family who bought the property and established the Mount Welby Plantation.

The Mount Welby period represents only one layer of the park's deep and diverse history. The park has been home for many generations of human habitation during the past 10,000 years--beginning with the Native American peoples who have hunted for wild game and gathered plants up until the 17th century.

Forty-eight years after the Debutts sold the property, the land was acquired by the United States Government to establish a therapeutic farm for St. Elizabeths Hospital known as Godding Croft.

The property was entrusted to the National Park Service in 1959 to protect its natural and cultural resources from the threat of increased urban development, and to continue to tell the story of the land and how it has changed overtime.

Loading results...

    Last updated: May 23, 2024

    Park footer

    Contact Info

    Mailing Address:

    6411 Oxon Hill Road
    Oxon Hill, MD 20745


    (771) 208-1536

    Contact Us