Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to many common—and some not so common—questions asked by our visitors. If you feel we've left one out, please let us know!

Can I reserve a campsite?
No, sites at the campground are first-come, first-served.

What facilities does the campground have?
The campground has 30 sites with tent pads, fire grills, picnic tables and bathrooms with running water. Hookups are not available.

What time does the campground fill?
The campground rarely fills.

What’s the maximum RV length in the campground?
The sites are designed for tent camping, though a few sites will accommodate RVs up to 36 feet long.

Are pets allowed in Hovenweep?
Yes. Pets are allowed on trails and in the campground, but must be leashed at all times.

Can I drive to the ruins?
Yes, but some walking is required to see all of Hovenweep’s archeological sites.

What facilities or services does Hovenweep offer?
Aside from the visitor center and bathrooms, there are no facilities at Hovenweep. Gas, groceries, lodging and other amenities are available in nearby towns. Goods and Services

Can I get information mailed to me?
Yes, you may request mailed information by contacting us. However, please consider that all published material has been posted on this website.

Where can I get extra park brochures, or other items I saw in your bookstore?
Canyonlands Natural History Association operates the bookstores in our visitor centers. Visit them online at

Does Hovenweep close at night?
Trails are open from sunrise to sunset only. The visitor center is open daily year-round. Hours vary by season. . Operating Hours and Seasons

What is the weather?
Current weather and local forecasts are available from the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Salt Lake City.

Will my cell phone work at Hovenweep?
Cell phone coverage is poor to nonexistent throughout the area.

Can I volunteer at Hovenweep?
Yes! The National Park Service needs volunteers throughout the year to assist with all aspects of park management.

How do I get a job at Hovenweep?
For information about jobs with the federal government, visit

Can I get married at Hovenweep?
Yes, though a special use permit is required.

What's the difference between a park and a monument?
A park is established through congressional legislation and a monument is established through presidential proclamation.

Can I film a movie in Hovenweep?
All commercial photography and filming requires a special use permit.

Last updated: September 13, 2016

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

McElmo Route
Cortez, CO 81321


970 562-4282 x5

Contact Us