Your Fee Dollars at Work

Out of the 423 units in the National Park Service (NPS), 108 parks charge an entrance fee. The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) allows the NPS to collect and retain revenue and requires that fee revenue be used to enhance the visitor experience. At lease 80 percent of the money stays in the park where it is collected, and the other 20 percent is used to benefit parks that do not collect fees.

Entrance fees collected at Fort Moultrie benefit Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter and Liberty Square. Projects below are examples of park improvements using your fee dollars.
 
Staff spreading oyster shells at Fort Sumter

Oyster Shell Walking Paths

Oyster shells are used at Fort Sumter to line paths for visitors to use while exploring the historic landscape. A natural solution, the shells help mitigate flooding of paths during heavy rain and high tide. In order to maintain these paths, shells are continually added and spread by staff and volunteers.

 
Historic Torpedo Building at Fort Moultrie
Historic Torpedo Storehouse Windows

The historic building you see today was built in 1902 as a storehouse. It is the last of a set of structures built to support a minefield in Charleston Harbor. Other buildings that have since been removed include a mining casemate, magazine, cable tank storehouse, and mine wharf. Fee dollars have been used to repaint and maintain the windows of this building.
 
Interior walls of Fort Moultrie being white-washed
Interior Walls of Fort Moultrie

Fort Moultrie has a series of buried tunnels and rooms to explore, with just part of one shown here. The walls are maintained by whitewashing, as shown in this photo.
 
Contractor standing on ladder repainting entrance to Fort Moultrie Visitor Center
Fort Moultrie Visitor Center Entrance

The Fort Moultrie Visitor Center was built in the 1970s. Thanks to fee dollars, the park is able to have repainted the entrance and non-brick outer walls of the visitor center.
 
Outside of Fort Moultrie, view of south facing brick wall after preservation work

Repointing Historic Brick Walls of Fort Moultrie


The National Park Service's Historic Preservation Training Center restored deteriorated and failing mortar joints along Fort Moultrie's south wall. The preservation work is done using methods that protect the historic brick and achieves the texture of the historic mortar joints present throughout the fort.

Last updated: December 7, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1214 Middle Street
Sullivan's Island , SC 29482

Phone:

(843) 577-0242

Contact Us

Stay Connected