Permits & Reservations

The park is a special place where glittering waters meet emerald shorelines. Its rich history is revealed in legends, shipwrecks, and the stories of people who helped to shape this unique area. We are home to four distinct yet interconnected ecosystems. These resources, combined with the closeness of Miami, make the park an ideal location for a variety of special activity requests. Each event, activity, research project and commercial operation in the park requires a permit. Permits are issued and approved after National Park Service employees follow required steps for environmental compliance. This includes reviews to determine that activities will not impair park values, resources or visitor enjoyment. Permits are required for:



The special use permit authorizes activities that benefit individuals, groups or organizations, rather than the public at large. Examples include: weddings, memorial services, special assemblies, First Amendment activities and athletic events. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of park resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage, anticipated disruption of normal public use, and previously approved permitted activities. Review the Superintendent's Compendium for guidance on your proposed activity prior to submitting a special use permit application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: A minimum of 15 business days is required to review special park use permit requests. This review period begins the day the completed permit application and the $100 non-refundable permit fee are received. Applications will not be considered until payment of the $100 non-refundable application fee is received. Large or complex projects may take additional time. In addition to the application fee, other fees may be charged. National Park Service staff may be assigned as on-site monitors for the project. The permittee will be billed for all costs incurred.

Special park use permit application


A special use permit is required for public assembly or the sale or distribution of printed matter in National Park Service areas when group size is greater than 25. All First Amendment activities must take place at the designated area. Contact the permit coordinator for details. All activities are limited to daylight hours. All park regulations must be followed and no resource damage is allowed.

Complete a special park use permit application and send it to the permit coordinator's attention at 9700 SW 328 Street, Homestead, FL 33033. The application must contain a statement of the goal of the organization and the proposed activity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Permits for First Amendment activities may take up to ten days to approve or deny. Customary permit fees requirements are not applied to First Amendment activities.


The seven stilt houses located in the northern part of the park are closed to the public. Special visitation permission can be obtained by contacting the Stiltsville Trust, which maintains the properties through a cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. Depending on the nature of your visitation request, you may require a special park use permit from the NPS in addition to permission from the Stiltsville Trust. For more information visit the Stiltsville Trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: A minimum of 15 business days is required to review Stiltsville permit requests. This review period begins the day the completed permit application and $100 non-refundable permit fee are received. Applications will not be considered until payment of the $100 non-refundable application fee is received. Large or complex projects may take additional time. In addition to the application fee, other fees may be charged. National Park Service staff may be assigned as on-site monitors for the project. The permittee will be billed for all costs incurred.


The park is a beautiful, unique place that has touched many hearts. To request to memorialize a loved one by scattering their ashes in the park, a special use permit for scattering ashes is required.



Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CFR Part 5.5 are unconstitutional. In response to the decision, the National Park Service issued interim guidance on February 22, 2021, to manage filming activities. Under the interim guidance, filming activities may require a permit if they would impact park resources or the visitor experience. The National Park Service intends to update regulations addressing filming activities that are consistent with the outcome of Price v. Barr. Once effective, those regulations will replace and supersede the interim guidance.

Those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park directly for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?

Under the interim guidance, the National Park Service is not distinguishing between types of filming, such as commercial, non-commercial, or news gathering. Low-impact filming activities will not require a special use permit, but non-low-impact filming activities may require a permit to address their potential impacts on park resources and visitor activities.

Low-Impact Filming

“Low-impact filming’ is defined as outdoor filming activities in areas open to the public, except areas managed as wilderness, involving five people or less and equipment that will be carried at all times, except for small tripods used to hold cameras. Those participating in low-impact filming activities do not need a permit and are not required to contact the park in advance. If low-impact filmers have questions about areas where they want to film, they should contact the park directly.

Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, news and other staff associated with filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors, including park hours and closed areas, still apply to filming activities even if a permit is not required. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Non-Low-Impact Filming

Filming activities that do not meet the description of low-impact filming require at least ten days advance notice to the National Park Service by contacting the park directly in writing. The park’s superintendent will determine whether the filming activities will require a special use permit for filming. Based on the information provided, a permit may be required to:

  • maintain public health and safety;

  • protect environmental or scenic values;

  • protect natural or cultural resources;

  • allow for equitable allocation or use of facilities; or

  • avoid conflict among visitor use activities.

Examples of requests that may require a permit include, but are not limited to: entering a sensitive resource area, filming in areas that require tickets to enter, or filming in visitor centers, campgrounds, or other visitor areas. The decision to require a permit rests with the park superintendent based on potential impacts to park resources or the visitor experience.

Contact the park directly if unsure whether or not a filming activity is considered low-impact or may require a permit.

Filming in Wilderness Areas

The National Park Service manages and protects more than 44 million acres of park lands and waters as wilderness areas. These areas have additional laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. Filming activities in wilderness areas must follow all applicable laws and regulations that govern wilderness areas in the park, including prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, or landing aircrafts.

Except for casual filming by visitors, special use permits for filming are required for all filming activities in wilderness areas, no matter the group size or equipment used.

Are filmers still required to pay fees to film in parks?
As of January 22, 2021, the National Park Service is no longer collecting application or location fees, or cost recovery for filming.


When is a permit needed?
Price v. Barr had no impact on how the National Park Service regulates still photography, so there are no changes in how the National Park Service regulates that activity. Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit?
Permit applications are available through each park's administrative office or website. Contact information for parks can be found on their websites; visit Find a Park to locate the park where you would like to photograph. You should submit a completed application along with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance of your planned date as possible. In addition, you should request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex. Early consultation with park staff will help them process the submitted application in a timely manner.

What fees will I have to pay?
The National Park Service will collect a cost recovery charge and a location fee for still photography permits. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring your permit. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of your permit. The application fee must be submitted with your application.

In addition, the National Park Service has been directed by Congress to collect a fee to provide a fair return to the United States for the use of park lands. The National Park Service uses the following still photography fee schedule:

  • 1–10 people - $50/day
  • 11–30 people - $150/day
  • Over 30 people - $250/day

Are there other permit requirements?
You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

What about photography workshops?
If you are planning a photography workshop, you may need a commercial use authorization. See the commercial use authorization page for more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICES: A minimum of 15 business days is required to review still photography permit requests. This review period begins the day the completed permit application and $100 non-refundable permit fee are received. Applications will not be considered until payment of the $100 non-refundable application fee is received. Large or complex projects may take additional time.

Most projects require a certificate of insurance issued by a United States company showing general liability coverage and naming the United States Government, National Park Service as an additional insured. The usual minimum amount of insurance is $1,000,000 but the required amount may be increased for certain high-risk situations. In addition to the application fee, other fees may be charged. National Park Service staff may be assigned as on-site monitors for the project. The permittee will be billed for all costs incurred.



An organization is considered a business if you provide goods, services, activities, or other things to the public using National Park Service lands. If you receive any form of compensation for the things you provide, you are conducting a business or commercial activity.

The Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) program authorizes the provision of non-exclusive, suitable commercial services to park area visitors, as long as certain conditions are met: the services must be appropriate to the mission of the park, compliment resource protection, visitor protection and interpretation goals, and not pose any potential for derogation of values or purposes for which the park was established. They must be consistent with the park's future plans as well as present operations. They should be compatible with the planning documents for the park, and consistent with all applicable park area management plans, policies and regulations.

The superintendent may grant CUAs to businesses when there are no fixed commercial facilities within a national park area; the commercial activity originates and terminates outside the park; no money changes hands on park lands; and no commercial solicitation occurs on park lands. At this time, CUA permits are available for the following activities: sightseeing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, salvage/tow and vessel transportation, and charter and guide fishing.

A business wishing to conduct any of these activities in the park must procure a CUA in advance and follow the terms and conditions of the authorization. Requirements including, but not limited to, liability insurance, licensing, equipment and first aid must be met in order to be considered for a CUA. Should you have additional questions, you may contact the Concessions Management Specialist who oversees the CUA program through this email link or by calling (305) 242-7747.

The Commercial Services Program has received feedback from road-based tour operators that they need clarification on what road-based tour conditions are being required from park-to-park. This includes parks with road-based tour CUA programs and parks without such an authorization process. Providing the latest road-based tour guidance is intended to assist road-based operators understand the requirements and provide a safer environment for visitors. The new guidance can be found at Multi-day-Road-based-Tour-COVID-19-Guidance.



It is the policy of the National Park Service to support and encourage natural science and social science studies, provided that these studies enhance understanding of park natural, cultural and social resources, processes and values, or serve to assess how the use of the park impacts an ecosystem.

Permits are required by those seeking to conduct scientific and social studies in the park. Although studies conducted by outside investigators are not required to focus on specific NPS issues, all studies must be consistent with NPS statutes, policies, and environmental laws that govern research on NPS lands.

Research permit applications and proposals go through a review process in order to ensure that all proposed research studies for the park comply with NPS statutes and policies, that park resources and values are not impaired, and that park visitors are not unduly impacted by proposed activities.

Researchers working under park permits are expected to follow the SFNRC research data reporting requirements and be cognizant of their obligation to submit their final deliverables.

How to apply: the National Park Service developed the Integrated Resource Management Applications (IRMA) portal to facilitate application for scientific research permits. Investigators interested in conducting research in the park are required to submit both an application and a research proposal via this system. Proposals may be uploaded during the online application. Investigators are encouraged to review the NPS guidelines for research proposals prior to submitting an application and research proposal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Permit applications will not be reviewed unless a study proposal is submitted. Review and processing of research applications and proposals can take 90 days or more.

Last updated: April 12, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

9700 SW 328th Street
Sir Lancelot Jones Way

Homestead, FL 33033


(305) 230-1144

Contact Us