Frequently Asked Questions

How do I plan my time in Skagway?
This website has lots of information to help you plan your trip to the park. The Things To Do page has some suggested activities based on how much time you plan to be in the Park.

Visit the Chilkoot Trail page for information about the permits, reservations, campgrounds, and more details about a hiking and camping on the trail.
What, exactly, is the park?
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park consists of three units in Alaska. The Skagway unit consists of a collection of buildings in the historic district in the town of Skagway, Alaska. The White Pass unit is the historic trail that led from Skagway up the Skagway River valley to White Pass and on to Bennett, British Columbia. That unit is most easily seen from the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway or from the Klondike Highway. The third unit of the park is the famous Chilkoot Trail and Dyea. They are located one valley north of Skagway. Dyea was the town that rivaled Skagway during the gold rush, but today little evidence of this town remains.
Is there camping in the park?
The park has a campground at Dyea. It is operated by the National Park Service and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. It seldom fills except on Canadian holidays when our friends from just over the border come down for a visit. The campground has no facilities other than vault toilets. Bring your own water and firewood. There are no groceries available at Dyea so bring your own grub as well. The $6.00/night fee at the campground helps us maintain the minimal facilities.

Backcountry camping is available along the Chilkoot Trail. Any overnight camping requires a permit.
Isn't there a park like this in Seattle?
Yes! The Seattle park is also called Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and consists of a visitor center with exhibits that tell the story of the Klondike gold rush from the Seattle end of things. Seattle was a major staging and supply point for the gold rush. The Seattle park, as well as many sites in Canada and Alaska are all part of the Klondike Gold Rush International Historical Park.
How do I get a permit for the Chilkoot Trail?
Check out our Chilkoot Trail permits page for the most recent information on permits, prices, and reservation processes.

Last updated: February 11, 2016

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park
P.O. Box 517

Skagway, AK 99840


907 983-9200

Contact Us