Permits & Reservations

On This Page Navigation


Backcountry Permits and Reservations

Backcountry and river permits may be obtained online. Overnight permits must be requested online at least two days before start of trip.

Permit Reservation System Update: Beginning November 10, all Canyonlands National Park backcountry and river permit reservations will be available on Be ready to enter reservations for all backcountry trips between March 10 and June 9, 2021 starting at 8:00AM MT on November 10. Permit reservations will NO longer be available night by night.

Here are some tips to set you up for success:

  • Get comfortable with the site ahead of time. If you haven’t already, get online and create your account early. Make sure all of your information is up to date.
  • Be ready on opening day. Log-in well before the campsites open at 8:00 AM Mountain Time. Bring up the location page, add the requested information such as your dates, and be ready to “check availability” the moment the opening begins. Have your credit card for payment at hand.
  • Have a list of alternatives handy. Some of our most popular sites (such as those in the middle of the White Rim) will have fierce competition, particularly for weekend dates. Consider trying for campsites mid-week or on other sections of the White Rim.
  • Don’t Hesitate! Seconds can make the difference between getting your reservation or not. Once you click “Book Now” the campsite is locked in your cart for 15 minutes for you to complete your reservation. If you do not complete the transaction after 15 minutes, the campsite is released back into inventory.

Day-Use Permits

You must have a day-use permit for four-wheel-drive, motorcycle, and bicycle travel on:

  • White Rim Road (Island in the Sky)
  • Elephant Hill, Lavender Canyon and Peekaboo/Horse Canyon roads (The Needles)

Overnight Permits

You must have an overnight backcountry permit for all overnight trips into the backcountry. Permit reservations can be very competetive. Backcountry reservation cancellations will be processed between 11:30 am and 12:00 pm Monday through Friday. Any campsite/zone cancellations released during this time will be immediately available through the permit reservation system.

River Permits

All day and overnight trips on the rivers require a river permit.

Academic institutions may conduct flatwater and whitewater river trips under a special-use permit.

Horseback Riding, and Pack- and Stock-Use Permits

All pack- and saddle-stock use requires a permit.


Last updated: October 26, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us