Permits & Reservations

On This Page Navigation



For campground and lodging reservations, contact Yellowstone National Park Lodges. Lodging can fill months in advance: make your reservations early. Reservations are not needed to enter the park.

Family camping at Norris Campground


Pitch your tent or pull up an RV at one of our 12 campgrounds.

A view of the historic Lake Hotel.


Plan ahead and reserve a room in one of our many lodges.


Recreational Permits

Angler fishing in Yellowstone


Be a responsible angler and understand the regulations before you come.

Canoer paddles on Yellowstone Lake


Take in the view from the water.

Hikers crossing Boundary Creek

Backcountry Camping

Enjoy the solitude of more than 300 backcountry campsites.

Three horseback riders travel across a rolling prairie.

Coggins Test

All stock (horses, burros or mules) within Yellowstone must have a negative EIA or Coggins test within the last 12 months.


Other Permits & Authorizations

Sign stating that people in the area and expressing their own opinions.

Assemblies & First Amendment Activities

Certain types of activities require a special use permit.

The grey stone chapel at Mammoth Hot Springs surrounded by green grass.

Weddings & Other Ceremonies

Weddings and other ceremonies may be permitted in certain areas of Yellowstone depending on location, group size, and time of day or year.

Black and white photograph of low-lying clouds and distant mountain peaks.

Ash Scattering

Review these regulations if you would like to scatter the remains of your loved one within the park.

Two people controlling a jib from the boardwalk to collect video footage.

Film, Photography & Sound Recording

A permit is required for commercial filming, photography, and audio recording.

Researcher working with a pipette in the lab.

Scientific Research

Most types of research done in the park are subject to the park's research permitting policy and require a permit.

A wrecker hauls a broken down vehicle along a park road.

Commercial Travel

A commercial travel permit allows individuals traveling for business to pass through the park.

Three lines of snowmobiles wait for their drivers to return.

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs)

The National Park Service requires specific authorizations for commercial businesses to operate in national parks.

Last updated: June 10, 2019

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190-0168



Contact Us