Permits & Reservations

Cedar Grove Lodge. Photo by Kiel Maddox.


Four lodges operate within Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, including two that are open year-round.

A picnic table, fire ring, and metal food-storage box in a forest


Check here for details to help you plan your camping trip.

NPS Photo/ Scott Schweiger

Wedding Permits

Permits are required for all wedding ceremonies held in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Find out more!

A ranger at a desk talks with a person. Photo by Alison Taggart-Barone.

Wilderness Permits

Wilderness permits are now available through Learn more here.

People stand near a sequoia with filming equipment

Film and Photography Permits

Information about who needs a permit and how to apply

A researcher holds up a core sample near an alpine lake

Scientific Research & Collection Permits

An annual permit is required to conduct scientific research or collecting in these parks. Learn more here.

People walk toward a rustic building

Commercial Use Authorizations

If you'd like to operate a business here, it's likely that you'll need a commercial use authorization.

People walk into a building

Goods and Services

Commercial services include lodging, restaurants, markets, gift shops, and more.

People with bicycles pose in front of the park entrance sign

Special Use Permits

Planning a wedding, first amendment activity, family reunion, or other organized special event? Check to see if you'll need a permit.

A group of people in a cave room near a stream. Photo by Alison Taggart-Barone.

Crystal Cave

Explore underground! Tickets for Crystal Cave Tours are sold by our partner, the Sequoia Parks Conservancy. Crystal Cave is closed in 2020.

A Sequoia Shuttle large bus. Photo by Alison Taggart-Barone.

Sequoia Shuttle

Sequoia Shuttle is not operating during the 2020 season, but plans to resume operations in 2021.

Granite peaks

Mt. Whitney

Planning to climb Mt. Whitney? Look here for information to help you plan your hike.


Special Use Permits

Special use permits are needed for short-term activities such as ash scattering, family reunions, church services, first-amendment demonstrations, political events, public assemblies, and weddings and other ceremonies.


Commercial Use Authorizations

Commercial use authorizations (CUAs) are most commonly used for businesses that would like to operate guide services in the parks.


Other Permits and Licenses

Certain activities require permits because they may impact the park resources or affect the experience of other visitors. Permits are a tool used by the National Park Service to ensure oversight of certain activities and, in some instances, to recoup the costs of oversight.

The activities listed below require either a permit or license:

  • Fishing
    Fishing is permitted in most areas of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, and on adjacent national forests. Persons 16 years of age or older are required to have a California fishing license. Get copies of park-specific regulations at any visitor center. Licenses are not always available in park markets, so bring them with you or you may get one at Hume Lake (north of the Grant Grove area). Tackle is available at most park markets.
  • Caves
    For in-depth information about permits required to visit park caves (other than Crystal Cave), visit our web page about Caves/Karst Systems.

Last updated: February 5, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

47050 Generals Highway
Three Rivers, CA 93271


(559) 565-3341

Contact Us