Place

Quincy #4 Boiler House

Keweenaw National Historical Park

Winter scene of collapsed poor-rock building with brick arch-topped windows.
The Quincy #4 Boiler House.

NPS Photo

Quick Facts
Location:
Hancock, MI
Significance:
Contributing Structure to the Quincy Mining Company National Historic Landmark District

Cellular Signal

The #4 Boiler House used its coal fired boilers to produce steam to power equipment such as hoisting engines. The boiler house was originally a two-story structure made from poor-rock with arched brick detailing above the windows and doors. Four boiler sets sat in brick surrounds inside the building. Two 18-foot tall stone chimneys sat next to the building, one on each of the northern and southern faces. Between 1888 and 1908 a single-story wooden addition was added onto the west corner of the building’s southern face. By 1942 the boiler house sat vacant and the boilers had been removed.

Last updated: May 20, 2021