Permits & Reservations



Campsite reservations are highly recommended July through early September and can be made only through Reservations are required for group campsites and stock corrals. Reservations are required for Drakesbad Guest Ranch.

Recreational Permits

A permit is required for backcountry camping and stock use.
A valid California fishing license is required to fish in the park.


Special Park Use Permits

Special Park Use Permits are required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. In addition, special events usually require some degree of management from the National Park Service staff in order to protect park resources and the public interest. Some examples of special events that may require a permit are sporting events, festivals, concerts, weddings, cultural programs, and large group picnics. Regulations covering special events can be found at 36 CFR 2.50. The authority for the National Park Service to recover and retain costs associated with managing special park uses is found at 16 USC 3a. Charges established for special park uses are intended to recover costs associated with managing the activities and not to generate revenues beyond actual costs.

The goal of the park in issuing a permit is to ensure that the permitted activity does not interfere with the enjoyment of the park by other visitors and that the natural and cultural resources of the park are protected. Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis up to one year in advance. Please provide the park with as much notice as possible to consider your request. It may be necessary for park staff to contact you for further information while considering your request. The permit application must be accompanied by an application fee of $75.00 which reimburses the park for costs incurred in processing your request. There may be additional charges for large events that require additional NPS personnel for public safety or traffic control, site cleanup, trash removal, or property damage.

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all first amendment activities require special use permits and the NPS may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted. There is no charge for these types of permits.

Access the Special Park Uses Permit application. (only applicable through November 30, 2023)

Application process starting December 1, 2023:

As part of a larger effort to streamline and modernize the National Park Service (NPS) commercial use authorization (CUA) program, the NPS has developed on online system designed to process CUA applications and collect required CUA reports.

NPS will initiate its online system roll-out for the 2024 CUA season and by the 2025 CUA season, all national parks will be using the system. Lassen Volcanic NP has opted to participate in the initial system roll-out for the 2024 CUA season and will begin accepting CUA applications through the online system starting on 12/01/2023.

The online system includes a standard CUA application fee. National parks using the online system for the 2024 CUA season must charge a minimum of $350 per CUA application.

Commercial Filming Permit

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

National parks conserve and protect areas of untold beauty, grandeur and historical importance for current and future generations. The tradition of capturing images of these special places started with explorers who traveled with paint and canvas or primitive cameras. Sharing these images helped inspire the creations of national parks. Visitors to national parks today continue to memorialize their visits through filming and photography. Effective October 28, 2022, the National Park Service (NPS) has rescinded interim guidance that was in place during litigation regarding commercial filming and has returned to longstanding laws and regulations governing commercial filming in parks.

For information on obtaining a commercial filming permit, please e-mail us.

Commercial Use Authorizations

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs) authorize companies or individuals to conduct business in Lassen Volcanic National Park annually. A CUA provides a non-exclusive license to offer services to park visitors.

An organization is considered a business if it provides goods, services, activities, etc. to the public using National Park Service lands. By definition, if a business receives any form of compensation for the goods, services, activities, etc. provided, it is conducting business or commercial activity.

CUA activities must be appropriate to the mission of the park, complement resource protection, visitor protection and interpretation goals, and not pose any potential for derogation of values or purposes for which the park was established. Activities must be consistent with the park's present operations as well as future plans. The park will not normally limit the number of organizations that offer similar services or activities.

CUA holders have their bases of operation outside the park. All the commercial aspects of the activity must occur outside of NPS lands. This includes marketing, advertising, use of permanent or temporary structures, and negotiation with customers. Compensation or payment for services, (including tipping) may not occur on NPS lands.

If you are a nonprofit organization without taxable income, under the new National Park Service guidelines you are not required to obtain a Commercial Use Authorization. However, you are required to obtain a Special Park Use Permit.

Questions? Email us at

Last updated: December 17, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 100
Mineral, CA 96063


530 595-4480

Contact Us