Welcome to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area!
Golden Gate National Recreation Area is one of more than 400 national park units across the country. Plan on spending at least a few hours in the park, exploring the scenic drives or particular points of interests. If time permits, take a hike, participate in a Junior Ranger program, recreate in Golden Gate, or consider attending a ranger-led program to learn more about these special places. Guided walks and tours occur at various locations.
Here are the basics:
- Access to the park is free, with the exceptions of Muir Woods National Monument and Alcatraz Island.*
- Most parking lots are open between sunrise to sunset.
- Most trails are shared by hikers, mountain bikers, equestrians, and runners. Please practice good trail etiquette with your fellow visitors.
- Cell phone service can be unreliable in the mountains and valleys of the Marin Headlands and Muir Woods.
- Check out our park visitor centers for more information about the parks.