Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a reservation to camp in City of Rocks National Reserve?

Reservations are highly recommended if you plan to spend the night during the peak season and summer months. Reservations can either be made online at Reserve America, or by calling (888) 922-6743 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. MST.

Are there campsites that accommodate RV's?

City of Rocks has 5 campsites that will accommodate RV's, however the park does not provide RV services.

A unit of Castle Rocks State Park, the Smoky Mountain campground, offers 38 sites. Each campsite is is equipped with 30 amp electrical service, and water service. An RV dump station and shower house are conveniently located at the Smoky Mountain campground.

Are generators allowed at my campsite?

Generators are not allowed in City of Rocks campsites, however they are allowed at the Smoky Mountain campground, a unit of Castle Rocks State Park.

Are the roads in the park paved?

No, therefore rain storms can create muddy and slick conditions, making travel on the unpaved roads difficult for some vehicles. Be aware that you may not be able to reach your campsite in inclement weather without four-wheel drive.

How big is the park?

City of Rocks encompasses 14,407 acres of land. There is approximately 12 miles of road within the park.

Are pets allowed in the park?

Yes. Pets are welcome in the park, but must be kept under control and on a leash no longer than six feet, or confined to your camper.

Can I drive my ATV in the park?

No. The U.S. Forest Service provides Travel Plan Maps that identify open and closed roads and trails, closure dates, and other details that will help you plan an enjoyable ride. The Bureau of Land Management also has information available on riding areas.

Is hunting allowed on the Reserve?

Yes. Where hunting is allowed, seasons and bag limits are regulated by the Idaho Fish and Game Department. A hunting license and game tag must accompany the hunter at all times. Before hunting, contact the Idaho Fish and Game Department for information on types of hunts, location maps, seasons, and current regulations.

Is drinking water available?

Yes. Drinking water is available at the Emery Canyon Picnic area and at the Bath Rock parking lot.

What services are available locally?

  • Restaurant
  • Overnight Lodging
  • Gas/Service Station
  • Groceries
  • Pay Phone
  • ATM
  • Internet Access
  • Natural Hot Springs

Last updated: May 24, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

City of Rocks National Reserve
P.O. Box 169

Almo, ID 83312



Contact Us