Permits & Reservations

Weddings and Special Event Permits

Weddings and other special events, such as church services, require a Special Use Permit (SUP) from the park and must follow specific guidelines, according to policy and regulation.

Completed applications for SUPs for weddings and other special events, along with a non-refundable fee, must be received by the park no less than 14 days prior to the start of the event.

A SUP is also required for certain activities such as political events, public assemblies, demonstrations, the distribution of literature, and other activities commonly referred to as "First Amendment" activities.

If you are planning a wedding in the park, please see our Wedding Regulations. If you are interested in conducting scientific research in the park, please visit our scientific research page. If you are planning any other type of event in the park, please fill out a Special Use Permit Application.

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CRF Part 5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park directly for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?

Currently, the National Park Service is not issuing commercial filming permits, but is in the process of evaluating how best to regulate filming activities that affect visitors and park resources. All applicable laws and regulations governing activities and public use in parks still apply, including park hours and areas open and closed to the public. Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, and other staff associated with commercial filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors still apply to filming activities even if no permit is needed for their activity. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Are filmers still required to pay fees to film in parks?

As of January 22, 2021, the National Park Service is no longer collecting application or location fees, or cost recovery for filming.

Still Photography

When is a permit needed?

Price v. Barr had no impact on how the National Park Service regulates still photography, so there are no changes in how the National Park Service regulates that activity. Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. the activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or

  2. the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or

  3. a park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

For questions about special event permits, email us here. For questions regarding wedding permits, email us here. For more information concerning SUPs or to determine if your activity requires one, please call (706) 866-9241.

Tour Reservations

K-12, homeschool, and collegiate institutions who are planning an educational field trip should visit the field trips page.

Military units, including ROTC programs, interested in scheduling a staff ride, please visit the staff ride page.

If you are scheduling a group tour for a community organization, please contact us for information and scheduling. If you are with a scouting organization, visit our scouting page for opportunities.

If you are not with an organized group, and are interested in ranger-guided tours and programs, visit our guided tours page and the special event calendar. Most public, ranger-guided tours do not require reservations.

Last updated: March 19, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

3370 LaFayette Road
Fort Oglethorpe , GA 30742



Contact Us

Stay Connected