Permits & Reservations


Important Information About Processing Time

Applications will be accepted up to 12 months in advance. Applications must be completed in detail and returned with permit application and non-refundable application fee from A minimum of 30 days are required to process an application and issue a permit. For more complex permits (i.e. fishing tournaments, large ceremonial gatherings, and weddings in the park) a minimum of 60 days will be required. This will allow NPS staff to prepare for the needs associated with the permit. An additional fee may required for complex permits.


Special Use Permits

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for activities and events that provide a benefit to individuals, groups or organizations, rather than the general public, and may require some degree of management for the Recreation Area to protect the park's resources and insure visitor safety. There are several types of SUPs:
- For simple events (example: wedding ceremony, fishing tournaments), please fill our the Application for Special Use Permit Short Form.
- For more complex events (example: triathlon, half marathon), please fill out the Application for Special Use Permit, Long Form.
- For livestock trailing, please fill out the Application for Special Use Permit, Trailing Livestock.

Payment is only accepted by check and should accompany the application. Please send the application and $100.00 non-refundable check payable to:

20 US Hwy 14A E
Lovell, WY 82435

If you are unsure which form to use or have questions, please call the SUP Coordinator's office at (307) 548-5429.


Commercial Use Authorizations

The National Park Service is authorized, upon request, to issue Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA) to individuals, corporations or other business operations, to provide commercial services at the Recreation Area in limited circumstances. CUA's are NOT a Concessions Contract and are intended to provide a necessary commercial service on a limited basis. A CUA may be issued only for services
· Will have minimal impact on park resources and values;
· Are consistent with the purpose for which the Recreation Area was established, as well as all applicable management plans, policies and regulations.

Commercial uses include businesses that provide any or all goods, activities, services, agreements or other things offered to the general public which take place at least in part in the park, uses park resources, and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation, whether or not such entity is organized for purposes recognized as non-profit under local, state or Federal law.

Persons or entities issued a CUA are required to provide commercial liability insurance against claims arising out of or a result of acts or omissions of the CUA operator, their employees, agents , or contractors, in carrying out the activities and operations required and/or authorized under the CUA.

There is a non-refundable application fee of $100.00 for administrative costs for CUA permits. Please submit a cover letter with the Commercial Use Authorization Application Form that describes the activity or activities you wish to conduct (i.e. boat tours, kayak tours, or guided trail service). Payments for the Commercial Use Authorization must be provided via check. Please send the application and a check payable to NPS BICA to 20 US Hwy 14A E, Lovell, WY 82435. Proof of insurance and/or posting of a bond needs to accompany the application form. For additional information contact the CUA Coordinators office at (307) 548-5423.

NPS policy requires that an Annual Report is submitted for each year of the operation. The Annual Report only applies to those activities occurring inside the Recreation area. If you have been issued a CUA to conduct business activities that provide visitor services within Recreation Area, please complete the CUA Annual Survey.

There is a non-refundable $100.00 application fee for SUP permits. To pay by check, submit the payment with each application form, payable to the National Park Service. For more information, call (307) 548-5429.

Send applications and fees to:
Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area
SUP/CUA Coordinator
20 HWY 14 A East
Lovell, WY 82431


Commercial Filming and Photography Permits

The National Park Service's mission is to protect its resources while providing for the enjoyment of the visitor. Consequently, the National Park Service has developed certain guidelines for the purpose of managing filming, photography, and sound recordings consistent with its mission through a permit system. Read through the current NPS guidelines and fill out the appropriate form bellow if your activities will require a permit.

For simple projects please use the Application for Commercial Filming Still Photography SUP - Short Form. For more complex projects, please submit the Application for Commercial Filming Still Photography SUP - Long Form. Both of these contain instructions and fee requirements.


Last updated: March 7, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area South District Visitor Center
20 US Hwy 14A

Lovell, WY 82431


307 548-5406
(307) 548-5406 is the South District in Lovell, WY. (406) 666-9961 is the North District in Fort Smith, MT.

Contact Us