1. Papers of the Military Historical Society of Massachussets, the Shenandoah Campaigns of 1862 and 1864 and the Appomattox Campaign, 1865. Boston: Cadet Armory, Ferdinand St.; 1907.
2. Agassiz, George R. Meade’s Headquarters, 1863 – 65. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Society; 1992. Note: Letters of Colonel Theodore Lyman from the Wilderness to Appomattox.
3. Alexander, Edward Porter. Military Memoirs of a Confederate. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons; 1907.
4. Bahnson, Henry T. “The Last Days of the War” from the North Carolina Booklet: Great Events in North Carolina History. Hamlet, N.C.: Capital Printing Co.; 1903. Note: Bahnson served in Co. B, 1st NC Battalion Sharpshooters.
5. Boykin, Edward M. The Falling Flag. New York: E.J. Hale and Son, Publishers; 1874. Note: On the 7th S.C. Cavalry.
6. Brock, R. A. The Appomattox Roster. New York: Antiquarian Press; 1962. Note: A list of the Paroles of the Army of Northern Virginia issued at Appomattox Court House.
7. Buell, Augustus. “The Cannoneer”. Washington, D.C.: The National Tribune; 1890. Note: Recollections of service in the Army of the Potomac (Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery).
8. Calkins, Christopher. The Appomattox Campaign. Conshohocken, Pa.: Combined Books; 1997.
9. Calkins, Christopher. The Battles of Appomattox Station and Appomattox Court House, April 8-0, 1865. Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard; 1987.
10. Calkins, Christopher. The Final Bivouac: The Surrender Parade and the Disbanding of the Armies, April 10-May 20, 1865. Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard; 1988.
11. Calkins, Christopher. From Peterburg to Appomattox. Farmville: The Farmville Herald; 1983. Note: A tour guide to the routes of Lee’s withdrawal and Grant’s pursuit.
12. Calkins, Christopher. Thirty-six Hours Before Appomattox. Farmville, VA: The Farmville Herald; 1980. Note: The Battles of Sailor’s Creek,High Bridge, and Cumberland Church.
13. Cauble, Frank. The Proceedings Connected With the Surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, April, 1865. Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard; 1987.
14. Chamberlain, Joshua Lawrence. “Bayonet! Forward”: My Civil War Reminiscences. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania: Stan Clark Military Books; 1994.
15. Chamberlain, Joshua Lawrence. The Passing of the Armies. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons; 1915.
16. Clark, Walter Chairman. Five Points in the Record of North Carolina in the Great War 1861 – 65. North Carolina Literary and Historical Association: 1904.
17. Davis, Burke. To Appomattox: Nine April Days. New York: Rinehart & Co., Inc.; 1959.
18. DePeyster, John Watts. La Royale: Part VII: Cumberland Church or the Heights of Farmville. New York: Julious R. Huth, Printer; 1874.
19. DePeyster, John Watts. La Royale: Part VIII: The Last Twenty-Four Hours of the Army of the Potomac. New York: Julious R. Huth, Printer; 1872.
20. DePeyster, John Watts. La Royale: Parts I, II, III, IV, V, & VI. The Grand Hunt of the Army of the Potomac: Petersburg to High Bridge. New York: Julious R. Huth, Printer: 1872.
21. DeTrobriand, Regis. Four Years With the Army of the Potomac. Boston: Ticknor and Co.; 1889.
22. Freeman, Douglas Southall. R.E. Lee: A Biography (Vol. IV). New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons; 1936.
23. Gallagher, Gary W. Ed. Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander. Chapel Hill, N.C.: UNC Press; 1989.
24. Gerrish, Theodore. Army Life, A Private’s Reminiscences of the Civil War. Portland: Hoyt, Fogg, and Donham; 1882.
25. Gibbon, John. Personal Recollections of the Civil War. New York: G. Putnam’s Sons; 1928.
26. Gordon, John Brown. Personal Reminiscences of the Civil War. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons; 1903.
27. Gorman, John C. Lee’s Last Campaign. Raleigh: Wm. B. Smith and Co.; 1886.
28. Grant, Ulysses S. Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant, Volume II. New York: Charles L. Webster and Co.: 1886.
29. Harwell, Richard Barksdale Ed. “A Confederate Diary of the Retreat from Petersburg, April 3 – 20, 1865.” Atlanta: The Library Emory University; 1953.
30. Hatcher, Edmund N. The Last Four Weeks of the War. Columbus, OH: The Co-operative Publishing Co.; 1892.
31. Howard, McHenry. Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier and Staff Officer. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins Co.; 1914.
32. Humphreys, Andrew A. The Virginia Campaign of ’64 and ’65. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons: 1883.
33. Korn, Jerry. Pursuit to Appomattox: The Last Battles. Alexandria, VA: Time-Life Books; 1987. (Constable, George. Time-Life’s The Civil War.
34. Longstreet, James. From Manassas to Appomattox: Memoirs of the Civil War. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co.; 1896.
35. Maurice, Sir Frederick Ed. An Aide-de-Camp of Lee. Boston: Little-Brown Co.; 1927. Note: The Papers of Lt. Col. Charles Marshall.
36. McCarthy, Carlton. Detailed Minutuae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia. Richmond, Va.: B.F. Johnson: 1899. Note: 2nd Co., Richmond Howitzers, Cutshaw’s Battalion.
37. Newall, Col. F. C. With General Sheridan in Lee’s Last Campaign. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co.; 1866.
38. Nine, William G. & Wilson, Ronald G. The Appomattox Parloes, April 9 – 15, 1865. Lynchburg, Va. : H.E. Howard: 1989.
39. Porter, Horace. Campaigning With Grant. New York: The Century Col: 1897.
40. Rodick, Burleigh Cushing. Appomattox: The Last Campaign. New York: Philosophical Library; 1965.
41. Schaff, Morris. The Sunset of the Confederacy. Boston: John W. Luce; 1912.
42. Sherican, Phillip H. Personal Memoirs of P.H. Sheridan. New York: Charles L. Webster & Co.; 1888.
43. Stark, Ken Marching to Appomattox, The Footrace That Ended the Civil War. Penguin Group USA; 2009.
44. Stern, Phillip Van Doren. An End to Valor: The Last Days of the Civil War. Boston: Houghton Mifflin and Co.; 1958.
45. Stiles, Robert. Four Years Under Marse Robert. New York: Neale Publishing Co.; 1903.
46. Thomas, Benjamin P. Ed. Three Years With Grant. New York: Alfred A. Knopf; 1956. Note: The reminiscences of War Correspondent Sylvanus Cadwallader.
47. Tremain, Henry Edwin. Last Hours of Sheridan’s Cavalry. New York: Bonnell. Silver and Bowers; 1904.
48. Tremain, Henry Edwin. Sailor’s Creek to Appomattox Court House: La Royale Part VIII (Amended Edition by J.W. DePeyster). New York: Charles H. Ludwig; 1885.
49. Trudeau, Noah Andre. The Campaign to Appomattox: Civil War Series. Eastern National Parks and Monuments Assoc.; 1995.
50. Trudeau, Noah Andre. Out of the Storm: The End of the Civil War April-June 1865. Baton Rouge: LSU Press: 1995.
51. U.S. War Department Comp. War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (128 vols). Washington, D.C.: U.S. War Dept.; 1880. Note: See Vol. XLVI. Series 1, Parts1 & 3.
52. Wise, Jennings Cropper. The Long Arm of Lee (Vol. II). Lynchburg, Va.: J.P. Bell Co.; 1915.
53. Wise, John S. The End of an Era. Cambridge: The Riverside Press: 1902.
Last updated: February 26, 2015