Park ranger works with a camera crew
A park ranger works with a documentary film crew on the prison site.

NPS/C. Barr


Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included.

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

  • Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large;
  • Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  • Is not prohibited by law or regulation; Is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and Is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.

The Permit Process
Download and return specific permit application,along with appropriate non-refundable fee, when required. Please submit your permit application at least thirty (30) days before the desired date of the activity. The permit coordinator will work with you to create the permit. Read all conditions, guidelines and restrictions.

It is the policy of the National Park Service (NPS) to allow filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of park resources, and avoids conflict with the public's normal use and enjoyment of the park. We are also sensitive to the environments around our park.

Special Use & the National Cemetery | Filming & Photography | Special Events | First Amendment Activities | Application for Special Use Permits

For additional information, please email us.


Special Use and the National Cemetery
In compliance with regulations published at 36 CFR 12.4, conducting a special event or demonstration, whether spontaneous or organized, is prohibited except for official commemorative events conducted for Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and other dates designated by the superintendent as having special historic and commemorative significance to a particular national cemetery.

Filming and photography will be permitted in national cemeteries in accordance with NPS Management Policies 2006 8.6.6, 36 CFR parts 5.5 and 36 CFR part 12, 43 CFR 5, and 16 USC 460l-6d, provided that the activities do not cause unacceptable impacts or disrupt the solemn commemorative and historic character of the cemetery.


Filming and Photography Permits
Filming permits are issued on an individual basis based on the size of the project (movie, commercial, etc.), how much staff is needed for supervision, and how much time will be involved. A permit is required when the filming, videotaping, sound recording or still photography involve the use of talent, professional crews, set dressing, or props; when they involve product or service advertisement;or when the activity could result in damage to park resources or disruption of visitor use. Generally, permits are not issued for filming on weekends or holidays.

All film and photography permit applications require a one hundred dollar ($100.00), non-refundable fee that does not guarantee permit approval. Other potential charges include, but are not limited to monitoring by Rangers, clean-up and site restoration, and recovery of administrative costs. You may also be required to post a performance bond.

Media: Breaking News
Breaking news is an event that cannot be covered at any other time or at any other location. Coverage of breaking news does not require a permit.

Other Media
Frequently there are opportunities for news organizations to focus on park programs, or increase public awareness of park-specific issues. Filming related to these stories must be coordinated and planned in advance and do require a permit.

School media projects, independent films, documentaries, and feature films require a film permit.

Still Photography
Photography does not require a permit if it involves only hand-held equipment (tripod, interchangeable lenses or flash), and does not involve professional crews, product or service advertisement, or use of models, props or sets. A still photography permit is required when:· Product or service advertisement is involved· Talent/models, props, crews or sets are involved· More than just hand carried equipment is utilized

Commercial filming permits also require the payment of a location fee (see the table below).

Motion Pictures/Videos

Commercial Still Photography

1 - 10 people


1 - 10 people


11 - 30 people


11 - 30 people


31 - 49 people


Over 30 people


Over 50 people



Special Events

All other activities would be requested under this category. Please include detailed information in the application about the proposed event to help speed the processing of your request. All applications, except for First Amendment activities, require a fifty dollar, non-refundable fee that does not guarantee permit approval.


First Amendment Activities

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. The necessity of a permit to conduct First Amendment activities is determined by the group size.

A small group is defined as "25 people or less." A "small group" is not required to obtain a First Amendment Permit if they are located within a park designated First Amendment site and have no more than leaflets, booklets and/or hand held signs. A permit is required for any small group that:

a. wants to hold a demonstration or distribute and/or sell printed matter somewhere outside a designated First Amendment area.
b. wants to use equipment (i.e. tables, banners, platforms, etc.) even if it is within a designated area.
c. is merely an extension of another group already availing itself of the 25 person maximum.
d. wants to guarantee they will have priority for the use of a location, including the designated First Amendment areas.

A large group is defined as "more than 25 people" and is required to obtain a First Amendment Permit even if they are utilizing a park designated First Amendment site.

Some examples of special events that fall under First Amendment Rules:

  • distribution and/or sale of printed matter
  • religious services
  • public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.

There are no permit fees associated with First Amendment permits.


Application for Special Use Permits
Available forms (click on links below) may be printed out, completed and mailed to the park along with appropriate application fees. At this time they are not available to fill out online.

10-930 Revised Application for Special Use Permit DOC | PDF
10-931 Still Photography Permit (Short) DOC PDF
10-931 Still Photography Permit (Long) DOC PDF
10-931 Filming Permit (Short) DOC | PDF
10-932 Filming Permit (Long) DOC | PDF

Mail completed applications to:

Special Use Permits Coordinator
Andersonville National Historic Site
496 Cemetery Road
Andersonville, GA 31711

For additional information, call 229 924-0343 or email us.


Last updated: March 27, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Andersonville National Historic Site
496 Cemetery Road

Andersonville, GA 31711


229 924-0343

Contact Us