Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Canyoneering permits are required for all canyons in Zion requiring the use of descending gear or ropes, single-day through-hikes of The Virgin River Narrows, and all trips into the Left Fork of North Creek (The Subway).
- Wilderness areas are subject to natural forces such as: wildfires, rockfalls, flash floods, and other related factors that may cause closures or changes to trip plans. An online reservation does not guarantee that a canyon or resource will be open at the time of the trip.
- The purpose of the Wilderness permit is to protect resources, manage visitor encounter rates, and educate users on safety concerns and resource protection.
- Wilderness Permits do not provide a safety net for park visitors. Visitors are responsible for their personal safety, making informed decisions, and managing individual and group behavior in the Wilderness environment.
The Advance Lottery: 2 Months in Advance
An online Advance Lottery is held for trips, April through October, into Left Fork (Subway) and Mystery Canyon.
Online applications must be submitted two-months prior to your planned trip with up to three prioritized dates selected.
Applications are limited to one request per individual, per canyon, per month.
Choose your three prioritized dates carefully. Once you submit an Advance Lottery application, you will not be able to change your selected trip dates. Even if you cancel your online application, the permit system will not allow you to submit a new Advance Lottery application. Please make sure your dates are correct before you click submit.
Applicants will be sent a notification email on the 5th day of the following month with information about the status of their request.
Any spaces for Left Fork (Subway) and Mystery Canyon not reserved through the Advance Lottery, can then be reserved through Calendar Reservations or the Last-Minute Drawing.
There is a $5.00 non-refundable fee for the Advance Lottery application. Apply for the Advance Lottery
Calendar Reservations: 1 Month in Advance
- Online reservations for most canyons in Zion are available during a two-month time frame, one month in advance.
- Occasionally, a few spaces remain for Left Fork (Subway) and Mystery Canyon after the Advance Lottery has been held. These spaces may be reserved through Calendar Reservations.
- On the 5th of every month at 10:00 am MT, reservations for the next month become available. If spaces are still available, reservations can be made until 5:00 pm MT, the day before your trip.
- If the canyon you want a permit reservation for is not listed in this menu (for example: Kolob Creek) then you must obtain your permit in person, Calendar Reservations are not accepted.
- There is a $5.00 non-refundable fee for each Calendar Reservation. Apply for a Calendar Reservation
|For a trip in:
||Advance Lottery applications received in:
||Calendar Reservations become available:
The Last-Minute Drawing: 7-2 Days in Advance
- An online Last-Minute Drawing is an option for Canyoneering trips when the Advance Lottery or Calendar Reservations are fully booked.
- The Last-Minute Drawing only opens if all the Calendar Reservations have been booked for that day. If you are not seeing your preferred date for the Last-Minute Drawing, check the Calendar Reservations page.
- Individuals can apply for the Last-Minute Drawing to obtain any remaining reservations for permits.
- The Last-Minute Drawing is limited to one request per individual, per canyon. Applications can be submitted seven days prior to a trip date, until two days before at 12:00pm MT.
- The online drawing is held at 1:00 pm MT, two days before the trip date. Applicants will then be sent a notification email with information about the status of their request.
- Any spaces not taken through the Last-Minute Drawing will be available as Walk-in Permits the day before a trip date.
- There is a $5.00 non-refundable fee for the Last-Minute Drawing. Apply for the Last-Minute Drawing
Obtain Your Wilderness Permit
- Plan your trip itinerary to allow sufficient time to obtain your permit the day of, or the day before your trip during our Hours of Operation.
- Allow for at least 20 minutes to obtain a permit. Come prepared with all vehicle(s) information: make, model, and license plate(s).
- All Wilderness permits must be obtained in-person at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center Wilderness Desk.
- The individual listed as the reservation holder must be the one to obtain the permit, please plan accordingly.
- ⚠️ Wilderness Permits cannot be obtained at the Kolob Canyons Visitor Center.
$15.00 - 1 to 2 people
$20.00 - 3 to 7 people
$25.00 - 8 to 12 people
Wilderness Permits are Non-Transferable
Traveling in the Zion Wilderness requires careful planning and preparation. Permit holders assume the responsibility of ensuring that their group is aware of the risks involved, is self-reliant, has developed a back-up plan, and will follow park regulations. Because these are such important aspects of trip planning and resource protection, permits for trips into the Zion Wilderness are non-transferable.
If you cannot participate in your trip, please cancel your reservation to provide opportunities for others. If other members of your group still wish to participate in a planned trip, you may coordinate with a new prospective permit holder for them to immediately reserve the available spaces or sites, as soon as your reservation has been cancelled.
You may cancel your reservation online by logging in to your Zion Wilderness Reservations Account. As soon as your reservation is cancelled, those spaces or sites will immediately be available for someone else to obtain through the calendar reservations page. New permit holders will need a Zion Wilderness Reservations Account prior to creating a calendar reservation.
Plan your trip itinerary to allow sufficient time to obtain your permit the day of, or day before the trip during Zion Wilderness Desk Hours of Operation. The individual listed on reservation must be the one to obtain the permit, please plan accordingly.
Zion Express Membership
Zion Express Membership allows visitors who regularly visit the park, and are familiar with the park resources, to obtain a login account to create online reservations and convert them into Wilderness Permits from home.
To become a member, applicants must watch three orientation films at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center Wilderness Desk. (Membership cannot be obtained in the Kolob Canyons.)
After watching the films, applicants will sign a Zion Express Program Agreement form and obtain a username and password for their member account.
There is no cost for enrollment. Membership is valid for the remainder of the current year and for the next two calendar years.
Memberships may be cancelled if any regulations are violated.