Frequently Asked Questions

Q:I believe that I had an ancestor who fought during the
American Revolution. How can I get information about

A: Colonial National Historical Park has limited resources available for genealogical research in our library. We do not conduct genealogical research. However, the National Archives is the best place to search for information about your Revolutionary War ancestor. If you wish to order copies of veteran’s records please contact the National Archives :

National Archives & Records Administration, Old Military and Civil Records (NWCTB-Military), Textual Services Division, 700 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20408-0001

Note: If you are doing genealogical research, you will need the forms NATF 86 for Military Service Records, and NATF 85 for Military Pension/Bounty Land Warrant Applications.

Last updated: March 31, 2012

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Colonial National Historical Park - Yorktown Battlefield
P.O. Box 210

Yorktown, VA 23690


757 898-2410

Contact Us