Permits and Reservations

  • No advance reservations are needed to visit the preserve
  • Two week minimum advanced reservation needed for ranger-led group and school tours

Research Permits

  • Research Permits - for scientific and collecting activities - follow this link to register for a research permit at the preserve
  • Fishing - A fishing permit is not required to fish in any of the three catch-and-release ponds or along Fox Creek, but a valid Kansas fishing license is required for Kansas residents between the ages of 16 through 74 and must be in their possession while fishing in Kansas. All nonresidents 16 and older must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas.
* Check Cashing Notice -please download this Word document (14KB)

Special Use Permits

Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included:

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:

1. provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
2.requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
3. is not prohibited by law or regulation
4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.
Examples include: weddings, other ceremonies, or public assemblies, etc.

Examples of a First-Amendment Activity include: a church service or Freedom-of-Speech act

Special Use Commercial Filming and Photography Permits - Commercial filming and photography is defined as digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project. All commercial filming requires a Special Use Permit. Please email us for the following guidelines for commercial filming and photography.

Special Use Permits - Special uses require a permit. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage and to anticipated disruption of normal public use. Park staff will help ensure that your event runs smoothly and without interfering with park operations, resource protection, or the public's enjoyment of the park. For more information about special use permits, contact the Chief of Interpretation at (620) 273-6034. Permit applications, certificates of insurance, and correspondence may be faxed to (620) 273-8066.
Please email us for the following How to Apply for a Special Use Permit.
  • How to Apply for a Special Use Permit (pdf 97 KB)
  • Special use permit application (Word document, 826 KB). Download, print, and complete the form to apply for a special use permit. Mail the completed application to the address found at the top of the form.

Special events, group gatherings, First Amendment activities, and weddings - Sporting events, festivals, concerts, weddings, cultural programs, First Amendment activities, and group gatherings for social and community events are examples of special uses that require permits. All weddings and ceremonies require permits, regardless of the group size. Weddings at the preserve are authorized at the Lower Fox Creek Schoolhouse, as it was once a community building and a wedding could have conceivably been performed. To preserve the building, a set of rules (including maximum participants) has been established for resource protection.

Please email us for information on wedding permit rules.
  • Please review the Wedding Permit Rules (PDF file, 107 KB) and determine if they are compatible with your event plans.

Image showing area set aside for all First Amendment activities in the park.
The grassy area northeast of the visitor center is used for all First Amendment activities.
The image shows the grassy area northeast of the visitor center used for all First Amendment activities.

Last updated: January 28, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2480B KS Hwy 177
Strong City, KS 66869


(620) 273-8494 xhit 0

Contact Us