St. Croix, VI
Welcome to Buck Island! Before you come, please watch our 2014 Telly Award winning film "Caribbean Gem." Watching this will catch you up on 50+ years of National Park Service protection and civic engagement. Learn what we do every day to preserve this resource for Virgin Islanders and visitors alike. For the General Management Plan and Environmental Compliance, visit the News page.
National Historic Site
St. Croix, VI
Christiansted National Historic Site was established in 1952 as the first unit of the National Park Service in the Virgin Islands of the United States. Covering over seven acres the park tells the stories about Danish economy and ways of life, and the interactions of people in Europe, Africa, West Indies, and North America during the Danish era of occupation of the Virgin Islands (1734-1917).
National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve
St. Croix, VI
Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve uniquely documents the human and natural Caribbean world from the earliest indigenous settlements in the central Caribbean to their clash with seven different colonial European powers to the present day.
Go beyond Virgin Islands National Park's stunning white-sand beaches. Hike to historic plantation sites to learn about a challenging past when sugar and enslaved labor dominated life on the island. Visit the Indigenous Taino's ancient petroglyphs. Snorkel coral reefs to discover hidden marine life. Two-thirds of the island of St. John is national park, making it a unique destination for visitors.
St. John, VI
Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument includes federal submerged lands within the 3-mile belt off the island of St. John. These waters support a diverse and complex system of coral reefs and other ecosystems such as shoreline mangrove forests and seagrass beds.
By The Numbers
- 5 National Parks
- 364,063 Visitors to National Parks
- $56,800,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $6,213,684 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- 4 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 1 National Heritage Area »
- 91 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 5 National Historic Landmarks »
- 7 National Natural Landmarks »
- 203 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 921,264 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 204 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 3 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2020.