Grand Portage, MN
Travel into the past to discover the present. Explore the partnership of the Grand Portage Ojibwe and the North West Company during the North American fur trade and the NPS today. Follow pathways into a distant time. Experience the sights and smells of a bustling depot reconstructed in its exact location. Hear the beat of the drum echo over Gichigami - Lake Superior.
National River and Recreation Area
Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, MN
In the middle of a bustling urban setting, this 72 mile river park offers quiet stretches for fishing, boating and canoeing, birdwatching, bicycling, and hiking. And there are plenty of visitor centers and trails that highlight the fascinating human history of the Mississippi River. This a great place to start your exploration of this important river.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,WI
Come to the North Country. Trek the hills and valleys. Lakes and streams remain from glaciers that molded the landscape 10,000 years before. Experience clear-flowing water, the red and gold of autumn, a fairyland of snow, tall grass prairies, and distant horizons. From New York to North Dakota, you're never far from a great outdoor adventure. Experience your America at a walking pace.
For countless generations, American Indians have quarried the red pipestone found at this site. These grounds are sacred to many people because the pipestone quarried here is carved into pipes used for prayer. Many believe that the pipe's smoke carries one's prayer to the Great Spirit. The traditions of quarrying and pipemaking continue here today.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
Grab your paddle and your longing for adventure and head to the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers! Together they form the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, offering over 200 miles of clean water that glides and rushes through a forested landscape. Paddle, boat, fish, and camp among this wild and scenic beauty. Hiking and historic towns also beckon, if you can bear to leave the cool water.
International Falls, Kabetogama, Ash River, and Crane Lake, MN
With over 40% of the park water, Voyageurs is a maze of interconnected water highways. Plan ahead before coming to this water park by bringing your own, reserving a watercraft, or taking a park ranger boat tour.
By The Numbers
- 5 National Parks
- 1,233,738 Visitors to National Parks
- $64,200,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $1,623,145,664 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $73,265,462 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $36,793,357 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 45 Certified Local Governments »
- 85 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 508 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 62,582 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS »
- 1 National Trails Managed by NPS »
- 1,706 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 25 National Historic Landmarks »
- 8 National Natural Landmarks »
- 574 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 563,565 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 521 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 2 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 3 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Download the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2017.