Grand Portage, MN
Travel into the past to discover the present. Explore the partnership of the Grand Portage Ojibwe and the North West Company during the North American fur trade and the NPS today. Follow pathways into a distant time. Experience the sights and smells of a bustling depot reconstructed in its exact location. Hear the beat of the drum echo over Gichigami - Lake Superior.
National River and Recreation Area
Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, MN
In the middle of a bustling urban setting, this 72 mile river park offers quiet stretches for fishing, boating and canoeing, birdwatching, bicycling, and hiking. And there are plenty of visitor centers and trails that highlight the fascinating human history of the Mississippi River. This a great place to start your exploration of this important river.
National Scenic Trail
Eight States - Vermont to North Dakota MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,VT,WI
Come to the North Country. Trek the hills and valleys. Stand on the shores of lakes & streams from glaciers 10,000 years before. Clear-flowing water, red/gold of autumn, a fairyland of snow, open prairies, and distant horizons paint the land. Historic sites along the way tell how America settled and grew as a nation. From North Dakota to Vermont, adventure is never far away.
For countless generations, American Indians have quarried the red pipestone found at this site. These grounds are sacred to many people because the pipestone quarried here is carved into pipes used for prayer. Many believe that the pipe's smoke carries one's prayer to the Great Spirit. The traditions of quarrying and pipemaking continue here today.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
Grab your paddle and your longing for adventure and head to the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers! Together they form the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, offering over 200 miles of clean water that glides and rushes through a forested landscape. Paddle, boat, fish, and camp among this wild and scenic beauty. Hiking and historic towns also beckon.
International Falls, Kabetogama, Ash River, and Crane Lake, MN
With 218,055 acres, Voyageurs National Park is an adventure wonderland all year long full of exposed rock ridges, cliffs, wetlands, forests, streams and lakes. This is a place of transition between land and aquatic ecosystems, between southern boreal and northern hardwood forests, and between wild and developed areas. Whether you are exploring by land, water or ice there is something for everyone.
By The Numbers
- 5 National Parks
- 971,763 Visitors to National Parks
- $78,400,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $77,282,066 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $3,603,463 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 46 Certified Local Governments »
- 130,911 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS »
- 1 National Trails Administered by NPS »
- 1,732 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 25 National Historic Landmarks »
- 8 National Natural Landmarks »
- 584 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 565,898 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 522 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 2 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 4 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2020.