National Historical Park
The British flag would not be raised above Fort Sackville Feb. 25, 1779. At 10 a.m., the garrison surrendered to American Colonel George Rogers Clark. His American army, aided by French residents of the Illinois country, had marched through freezing floodwaters to gain this victory. The fort’s capture assured United States claims to the frontier, an area nearly as large as the original 13 states.
Indiana Dunes National Park hugs 15 miles of the southern shore of Lake Michigan and has much to offer. Whether you enjoy scouting for rare species of birds or flying kites on the sandy beach, the national park's 15,000 acres will continually enchant you. Hikers will enjoy 50 miles of trails over rugged dunes, mysterious wetlands, sunny prairies, meandering rivers and peaceful forests.
National Historic Trail
Sixteen States: IA,ID,IL,IN,KS,KY,MO,MT,NE,ND,OH,OR,PA,SD,WA,WV
The Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail is approximately 4,900 miles long, extending from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to the mouth of the Columbia River, near present day Astoria, Oregon. It follows the historic outbound and inbound routes of the Lewis and Clark Expedition as well as the preparatory section from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Wood River, Illinois.
Lincoln City, IN
Abraham Lincoln grew from youth to manhood on this southern Indiana soil. Many character and moral traits of one of the world's most respected leaders was formed and nurtured here. Explore Lincoln's boyhood and learn about the boy who would one day become the leader of our nation.
By The Numbers
- 3 National Parks
- 2,459,906 Visitors to National Parks
- $140,700,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $92,264,599 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $3,136,235 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 21 Certified Local Governments »
- 108,250 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 National Trails Administered by NPS »
- 2,009 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 42 National Historic Landmarks »
- 30 National Natural Landmarks »
- 493 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 200,545 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 226 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 3 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 10 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2020.