National Historical Park
The British flag would not be raised above Fort Sackville Feb. 25, 1779. At 10 a.m., the garrison surrendered to American Colonel George Rogers Clark. His American army, aided by French residents of the Illinois country, had marched through freezing floodwaters to gain this victory. The fort’s capture assured United States claims to the frontier, an area nearly as large as the original 13 states.
Lake Michigan's might has influenced Indiana Dunes for millennia. Wind and waves have shaped the land, leaving a rich mosaic of habitats along these 15 miles of Indiana coast. Over 50 miles of trails lead through shifting sand dunes, quiet woodlands, sunny prairies and lush wetlands. Known for its striking plant and bird diversity, it's easy to find inspiration throughout the park’s 15,000 acres.
National Historic Trail
Sixteen States: IA,ID,IL,IN,KS,KY,MO,MT,NE,ND,OH,OR,PA,SD,WA,WV
The Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail winds nearly 4,900 miles through the homelands of more than 60 Tribal nations. It follows the historic outbound and inbound routes of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803-1806 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to the Pacific Ocean. Follow the trail to find the people, places, and stories that make up the complex legacy of the expedition.
Lincoln City, IN
Abraham Lincoln grew from youth to manhood on this southern Indiana soil. Many character and moral traits of one of the world's most respected leaders was formed and nurtured here. Explore Lincoln's boyhood and learn about the boy who would one day become the leader of our nation.
By The Numbers
- 3 National Parks
- 2,459,906 Visitors to National Parks
- $140,700,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $92,264,599 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $3,136,235 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 21 Certified Local Governments »
- 108,250 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 National Trails Administered by NPS »
- 2,009 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 42 National Historic Landmarks »
- 30 National Natural Landmarks »
- 493 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 200,545 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 226 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 3 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 10 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2020.