Permits & Reservations


Alt Text: A Park Ranger smiling and holding out a brochure from an entrance booth.
  • No advance reservations are needed to enter Joshua Tree National Park. To enter the park, visitors will need to buy or show an entrance pass.

  • Reservations are required in most campgrounds and can be made on Some campgrounds are first-come, first-served; these do not require reservations but fill up fast on weekends, holidays, and in the springtime.

  • Reservations are required for Keys Ranch tours and can be made on Besides Keys Ranch tours, ranger programs are free to attend and do not require reservations.



Joshua Tree National Park sign with sunset in background

A Special Use Permit (SUP) is required for short-term activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large, and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest. SUP's are available for the following activities,

Joshua Trees

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUA's) allow individuals, companies, and organizations to provide commercial services in Joshua Tree National Park. CUA's are only available for the following,

  • Guided Backpacking, Hiking, and Camping
  • Guided Rock Climbing and Guide Certification Programs
  • Outdoor Education Programs
  • Photography, Art, Yoga, and Sound Bath Classes/Workshops
  • Guided Bicycling and Motorcycle Tours
  • Picnics and Catering
  • Trailer Rental Delivery
  • Guided Horseback Riding

For more information and to apply for a CUA permit, visit our Commercial Use Authorization webpage.

Two Rangers standing back to back  with large backpacks onand smiling

Backpacking Permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. Permits can be obtained on, by telephone, or by visiting the permit office at our headquarters in Twentynine Palms, CA. For more information, check out our wilderness backpacking webpage.

desert vegetation with a rock formation and blue sky in the background

A Bolting Permit is required for the placement, removal, and replacement of bolts and fixed anchors in both wilderness and non-wilderness areas. For more information on bolting regulations and how to apply for a permit, check out our bolting webpage.

a scientist holding and studying a bat

A Scientific Research Permit is required to carry out scientific research or related activities in the park. Fees are not charged for the permit, but researchers must submit an annual activity report. Scientific research permit applications are completed online and reviewed by discipline specialists, who will contact the applicant for further information. For more information and to apply, visit our Research Permit Webpage.


Permit Office

The permit office is open Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm (PST). We are closed on federal holidays.

Contact us

Phone: (760) 367-5518

74485 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
*We are located in office building 100 near the flag pole.

Last updated: May 2, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

74485 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277-3597


760 367-5500

Contact Us