For over one hundred years Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park has offered its visitors a window into the past through the many and varied cultural sites contained within its boundaries. Established as Hawaii National Park in 1916, the landscape of Hawaiʻi Volcanoes has been shaped by the people who have been a part of its history. Over five centuries before the establishment of the park, Native Hawaiians lived, worked and worshipped on this sacred ground. Later, in the 19th and early 20th centuries, adventurers, scientists, philanthropists, and every day individuals also left their mark on the landscape.
The 16,451-acre parcel is now part of Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park and protects native plants and animals, and cultural sites.
A storied portion of the Kīlauea summit, currently home to a traditional hale and a hula platform
The celebrated wahi pana (legendary place) atop Kīlauea, experienced by many park visitors to the Jaggar Museum
Cultural Landscape Inventories
Cultural Landscape Inventories are a comprehensive inventory of all historically significant landscapes within the National Park System. These documents identify each landscape’s location, physical development, significance, National Register of Historic Places eligibility, condition, and other valuable information for park management. Access these formal documents below.
A historic ranch house and gardens listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Kīlauea Administrative District
A number of park buildings, including Kīlauea Visitor Center, built during the era of the Civilian Conservation Corps
Last updated: August 5, 2022