On September 17, 1901, the First Steam-Powered Train, a spur line of the Santa Fe Railway, arrived to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. With the arrival of the train, the quiet area of the South Rim rapidly expanded into the bustling Grand Canyon Village.
Historic Buildings in the Village
Verkamp's Visitor Center History
A curio shop and family home for more than a century, Verkamp's was the oldest family-owned concessioner in Grand Canyon.
Hopi House History
The Hopi House pays tribute to the Hopi and their ancestors that have inhabited the Grand Canyon for centuries.
The Grand Canyon Railway Depot History
The Grand Canyon Railway Depot is one of the oldest standing wooden train depots in the United States.
El Tovar History
The El Tovar was the most luxurious hotel west of the Mississippi River when it opened in 1905.
Bright Angel Lodge History
The Fred Harvey Company built the Bright Angel Lodge on the former site of the Bright Angel Hotel and Camp established by James Thurber.
Buckey O'Neill Cabin History
The Buckey O'Neill Cabin is considered the oldest continuously standing structure on the South Rim.
Lookout Studio History
Inspired by the natural landscape around her, Mary Colter modeled this building after southwestern Native American architectural styles.
Kolb Studio History
The Kolb Brothers, best known for their death defying photographs, built a home and studio on the edge of the South Rim in 1904.
Last updated: October 26, 2023