The permit is free. Submit your request via e-mail. Include maps,diagrams, and other information that might assist park staff in evaluating your request.
Restrictions & Conditions:
A Special Use Permit does not allow the permittee to restrict park visitors from any location; therefore, sites which attract a large number of visitors should be avoided. Normal visitor use patterns will not be interrupted and are only allowed as specified in the approved permit. Permit activities may not occur simultaneously with other permitted activities or unduly conflict with scheduled public activities. Permit activities may be restricted based on weather or seasonal conditions (fire danger, standing water after rain, nesting season, etc.). Additional closures, use limits and/or restricted activities are listed in the Superintendent's Compendium. Activities that may damage, significantly impact, or alter park resources are prohibited.
The following are also prohibited:
Restrictions and conditions enumerated in the permit generally include the following:
- altering, damaging, or removing vegetation
- vehicle use off established roads and parking areas
- use of insecticides, herbicides, and pesticides
- loud noises (60 decibels or higher) between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- use of fragile vegetation areas
- flying aircraft below FAA recommended minimum altitude (usually 2,000 feet) or landing of aircraft
- writing on or discoloration of any natural feature or structure
- no container, urn, or memorial markers of any kind may be left within the boundaries of Crater Lake National Park
- no birds, butterflies, or objects, either natural or artificial may be released in conjunction with the scattering of cremains within the national park
- the placement of planting or real or artificial flowers, memorial trees, brass markers, wooden crosses, etc. is prohibited
- cremated remains must be pulverized and scattered
- scattering must result in complete dispersal of ashes so the scattering of ashes by persons on the ground is to be performed at least 100 yards from any trail, road, developed facility, body of water, or snow surface
- pets are not allowed on trails and must be under physical restraint, leashes six feet or less, in permissible areas
- the Special Use Permit must be in your possession at the time of the event and area rangers may request to review it
- the chosen site must not be anywhere inside the rim of the caldera; it is therefore not allowed to scatter remains in the lake, on the shore, on Wizard Island, off the side of the cliffs, or anywhere on the lake side of the road that encircles the rim
- the chosen site must be no less than 300 feet from any buildings
- the chosen site must be at least 150 feet away from other developed areas, e.g. roads, trails, campgrounds, and picnic areas, and at least 150 feet from streams or watercourses
- the ashes must be scattered and not deposited in any type of container. cremains may not be buried even without a container. the identifying tags and the containers in which the ashes are packaged by the crematory must be disposed of outside the park
- cremains must be accomplished in accordance with state law