Commercial Use Authorizations

Any individual, company, or group wanting to provide commercial activities in Crater Lake National Park must first obtain a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA). New applicants should contact the Commercial Services Office to discuss their proposed operation before submitting an application. CUAs are issued for the following activities:
  • Hiking/Walking Tours
  • Bicycle Tours
  • Camping - Front or Backcountry
  • Photography Instruction
  • Guided Birdwatching or Nature Study
  • Guided Fishing
  • Skiing/Snowshoeing Tours
  • Snowmobile/Snowcoach Tours
  • Bus, Van, or Auto Tours (see Road-Based Tours below)

CUA Application Process

In 2021, Crater Lake National Park will switch from two-year to annual CUA's. Information about this change can be found here. Both new and prior CUA holders should read the New CUA Applicant Letter to be sure they understand the procedures and fee schedule before submitting an application.

A completed application package will include the following:
  • Cover letter describing proposed operations (trip schedule and itinerary, estimated group size, types of motorized equipment or stock animals that will be used, description of client charges, description of any prepared food service, etc.)
  • Completed and signed CUA Application Form
  • Current brochure, marketing materials, or link to promotional website
  • Guide names and training certificates, as required by Attachment A of the application form
  • Proof of commercial general liability and commercial automobile insurance in an amount sufficient to meet the requirements listed in the application form
  • Visitor Acknowledgement of Risk form (Optional, but this is the only language that may be used to address risk while operating in the park. Waivers or indemnification agreements may not be used for any activities taking place inside the park.)
  • $200 non-refundable Application Fee, payable online via (preferred method) or by check made out to "National Park Service"
Prior CUA holders must also submit the CUA Annual Report and Management Fee for their prior year's operations in the park, due by January 31.

Completed application forms and supporting documents may be sent to:

Crater Lake National Park
Attn: CUA Coordinator
PO Box 7
Crater Lake, OR 97604
e-mail us

Road-Based Tours

Road-based tours are defined as “one or more persons traveling on an improved roadway on an itinerary that a company or individual has packaged and priced for leisure/recreational purposes." At Crater Lake, tours are considered "road-based" if they provide no visitor services other than those incidental to road-based travel in a NPS unit, including stops at visitor centers, scenic overlooks, lodging, etc.

The NPS is standardizing Road-based Commercial Tour (RBCT) CUA requirements and fees agency-wide. Implementation of updated RBCT program has been delayed until further notice. For updates on the status of the standardized RBCT implementation, please visit the NPS Commercial Use Authorizations page. Most Road-based Commercial Tour operators at Crater Lake will continue to pay the Commercial Vehicle entry fee.


Contact the Commercial Services Office at 541-594-3002 or e-mail us.


Last updated: April 25, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Crater Lake National Park
PO Box 7

Crater Lake , OR 97604


541 594-3000

Contact Us

Stay Connected