Colorado National Monument allows group picnics in the following locations:
Application Forms and Further Information:
You can apply for a Special Use Permit by completing this form and emailing it to COLM_PERMITS@nps.gov. Application fees can be paid over the phone with a credit card by calling (970) 858-2823.
- Small Picnic Gatherings - 15 people or less: $50
- A permit is optional for gatherings of 15 or less, but it will guarantee the permitee the location.
- Large Picnic Gatherings - 16 people or more: $100
- Permit is required and will guarantee the location for the permitee.
If monitoring is required, a charge of $50.00 per hour/per employee will be assessed. Monitoring is required for requests that involve multiple locations, complex logistics, coordination with other NPS divisions or additional environmental compliance.
All participant vehicles will be required to pay the entrance fee or show a valid pass. To coordinate payment in advance, call 970-858-2823.
Rules And Regulations
- Please limit the number of vehicles in your party if possible. Consider carpooling or buses to transport your guests.
- All guest vehicles will be required to pay the entrance fee or show a valid pass. To coordinate payment in advance, call (970) 858-2823.
- Special Use Permits issued for most facilities and areas will be limited to three hours.
- Activities may not interfere with normal visitor use of the park; therefore, areas will not be closed to public access during the event.
- Park personnel will not be available to offer special assistance for traffic, parking, or other logistical needs associated with your event.
- All participants must observe and comply with all park regulations, including those regarding the storage and handling of food and disposal of trash.
- Amplification of sound before, during, or after the event and connection to park utilities are not permitted. Live music and small Bluetooth speakers are allowed.
- Animals are to be kept on a leash at all times and under physical control, and pets, other than service animals, are prohibited in the backcountry.
- Any event that interferes with the normal activities of visitors, such as the closing of trails, overlooks or public use facilities, will not be allowed.
- No disturbance of vegetation or other natural objects is allowed.
- Park regulations do not permit the throwing or scattering of rice, birdseed, flower petals or any similar material. In addition, the release of animals including birds, butterflies or other insects is prohibited. Leave the site as you found it, or better.
- Buildings or structures cannot be used for attachments (such as banners or flowers).
- If your event is catered, food must be purchased ahead of time and cannot be sold on-site due to commercial services regulations.