Historians believe that the last known town of the Susquehannock Indian tribe once stood at this site from about 1676 to 1680. A log stockade wall enclosed about 16 ninety-foot longhouses, each being used by approximately 50 family members.
Visitors should park at the Zimmerman Center for Heritage to enter Native Lands County Park from the trailhead located there. They can participate in guided interpretive walks of the park by Susquehanna Heritage staff. Topics include Susquehannock lifeways, the river as a source of inspiration, and the nature of the river. The Zimmerman Center for Heritage is a visitor contact station for the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail.
Visitors to the Zimmerman Center and Native Lands Park can also enjoy the self-guided Heritage Trail which offers outstanding views of the Susquehanna River from a rolling landscape of meadows and woodlands.