Freedmen's Bureau Bill
1. Johnson was opposed to the use of the military during peacetime.
2. Johnson felt the Bill was a Federal encroachment into state matters.
3. Johnson felt this was "class legislation" for a particular segment of society that:
- would keep the ex-slaves from being self-sustaining, and
- had not been done for struggling whites (like he had been as an ex-apprentice).
4. Johnson did not feel that Congress should be making these decisions for unrepresented states.
Johnson's second objections were the same as his first.