Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get to Aniakchak?
Aniakchak is inaccessible by road and must be accessed by plane or boat. Aniakchak may be directly accessed via air taxi flights chartered from King Salmon, AK and other nearby small towns and villages. Air charters can land you at Meshik Lake, Surprise Lake in the caldera, or Aniakchak, Amber, or Kujulik bays on the Pacific Ocean. Regularly scheduled commercial flights to King Salmon (AKN), which serves as NPS administrative headquarters and the starting point for many Aniakchak adventures, are available from Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) via Alaska Airlines.

Power boats can reach the Preserve portions of Aniakchak from villages along the Pacific Ocean coastline.

Can I drive to Aniakchak?
No. Aniakchak National Monument & Preserve is inaccessible by road.

Is Aniakchak ever closed to visitor use?
The National Park Service imposes no operating hours or seasonal restrictions. Access to and movement within Aniakchak, however, may be limited or restricted at any time depending upon prevailing weather conditions and/or volcanic activity.

Are there any visitor facilities at Aniakchak?
Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve is a truly primitive landscape with no federally-maintained public facilities.

Can I bring my gun to Aniakchak?
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal and Alaska state law to legally possess firearms in Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve. For more information, please visit the firearms page. Hunting is allowed in the Preserve in accordance with Alaska State Fish and Game (ADF&G) regulations. Any wildlife killed in defense of life or property must be reported to ADF&G within 15 days. The meat of a game animal that you have legally taken becomes your property, but you may not kill another wild animal to protect the meat unless the meat is critical for your livelihood or survival. Visit the hunting page for additional information.

Can I keep any fish I catch at Aniakchak?
Retention restrictions, catch limits, and closures may apply; all fishing is subject to Alaska Department of Fish & Game (ADF&G) regulations.

Is there private property within the National Monument and/or Preserve?
Yes. Access to private lands is prohibited without prior consent of the landowner. Please respect the rights of property owners and avoid illegal trespassing.

Can I camp anywhere in Aniakchak?
No. Private lands do exist within the National Monument & Preserve. Access to private lands is prohibited without prior consent of the landowner.

Are campfires allowed?
Yes. Dead and downed wood only may be used for campfires; live trees may not be cut for any purpose. Due to the presence of archeological sites throuhout Aniakchak, please refrain from any ground-disturbing activity when constructing campfires. Campers are encouraged to follow Leave No Trace Principles to reduce their impact on the Aniakchak environment.

How do I store my food?
Food must be stored in a manner to prevent bears from obtaining it. Fresh caught fish and other odorous substances, such as toothpaste and garbage, must also be stored appropriately. The approved method for food storage at Aniakchak requires a bear-resistant food container (BRFC). Contact the park for a list of manufacturers of BRFCs. The King Salmon Visitor Center has a limited supply of BRFCs which may be checked out for non-commercial trips on a first come, first served basis. Ice chests, coolers or dry bags do not provide adequate protection from bears. Fish entrails should be discarded in a swift-moving river current.

Do I need a permit to travel, camp, and/or spend the night at Aniakchak?
Permits are not required for public access to or overnight stays within Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve. However, campers are encouraged to make known their itinerary information. See the permits page for additional information.

Last updated: April 1, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 245
KIng Salmon, AK 99613


907 246-3305

Contact Us