Auto Touring


Do I need a permit?

  • Day Use: You must have a permit for day use on White Rim Road, Elephant Hill Road, Lavender Canyon Road, and Horse Canyon/Peekaboo Road.
  • Overnight: You must have a permit for all overnight trips in the backcountry. During the spring and fall, demand for permits frequently exceeds the number available. If you plan to visit Canyonlands during peak season, especially to camp along the White Rim Road, we recommend that you make reservations well in advance.

Rental Vehicles

Most vehicle rental agreements restrict vehicles to paved roads. Check your contract and be aware that the rental company can charge you for damage to the vehicle outside of the contract agreement specifications.

Towing Charges

Drive carefully! Towing charges are very expensive. People caught in the backcountry of Canyonlands with disabled vehicles can expect towing fees in excess of $2,000. AAA and other towing insurance may not be valid on backcountry dirt roads.

Last updated: February 2, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us