On March 17, 1898, the New Jersey Legislature appropriated $2,000 for a monument at Andersonville. The governor appointed two men to serve on the commission, and more than likely they were Civil War veterans. The men selected a large column design in Quincy granite. The top of the monument featured a soldier at parade rest gazing out over the graves of the brave. It is possible this was a stock design that the granite company offered the commission. The commissioners placed a time capsule in the sub-base for future generations to learn from. After careful consideration, the veterans placed copies of the New Jersey Laws, the Senate Journal and the House Minutes of 1898 and a copy of House Assembly Bill 188, and official list of the dead at Andersonville, a photograph of the monument, newspaper clippings about the memorial, a Grand Army of the Republic Union badge, a bronze GAR horseshoe, a list of Medal of Honor winners, a list of the national officers of the Ex-Union Prisoners of War Association, New Jersey's ex-prisoner of war badge, a calendar from 1898, an American silk flag and a staff inside the box. Visiting groups and veterans found the monument inspiring and returned home to lobby for their own state memorials.
Last updated: September 4, 2022