Summer is finally here! School is out and everyone is ready to enjoy the long, warm days of summer. Did you know that even just walking through nature can improve memory and cognitive function? Plus exercising outdoors can make you stronger and healthier! No matter your speed, there’s a ton of health-boosting activities to fill your summer schedule. So whether you’re getting active or just relaxing, you should do it outside!
Here are some fun ways to make your summer a healthy one:
No matter your skill or ability, there are plenty of ways for you to get healthy outdoors this summer! Discover new parks to explore! Bike, hike, and camp in your favorites. Swim, fish, and boat in the warm weather-- remember to be safe as you splash!
Get outside to enjoy a much needed vitamin D boost. But remember that summer fun also means summer safety! Be careful of how long you spend in the heat, and wear sunglasses, sunscreen, and protective clothing/hats to keep you safe! And don’t forget to drink plenty of water!
- Nothing says summer like outdoor picnics and barbeques! Your favorite fruits and vegetables are back in season and ready to be eaten! Fill your table with healthy foods this summer to keep yourself energized and happy.
- Want to skip the summer heat? Experience breathtaking night skies and take a moment to reflect and destress! Stay safe in the dark and you’ll have an unforgettable adventure when the sun goes down!
And celebrate with us as we look forward to healthy holidays!
Month of June: Connect with nature during Great Outdoors Month! Bring your friends and family with you for new outdoors adventures in biking, camping, fishing, hiking, and more! #EscapetheIndoors
June 1-9, 2019: Celebrate recreation on the water with National Fishing & Boating Week! Whether you like fishing in lakes, streams, oceans, or rivers, get outside and enjoy time outdoors! Join the conversation with #FirstCatch #GetYourFishOn
June 1, 2019: Join the American Hiking Society and celebrate National Trails Day! Explore local trails and take the pledge to improve trails. It can be as simple as picking up trash on your hike! #NationalTrailsDay
June 3, 2019: Bikes are good for you and the environment. Get active and support green transportation on World Bicycle Day! Find a park near you to cycle your way to better health!
June 8, 2019: Get active with the whole family! Celebrate parks keeping communities healthy on Family Health and Fitness Day! #NRPAFamilyFitDay
- June 21, 2019: Namaste! Try yoga outdoors on International Yoga Day for better physical and mental health!
Month of July: Get out to a park to enjoy all kinds of healthy fun, games, and excitement during National Park and Recreation Month! #GameOnJuly
- Month of July: Are you being safe in the sun? Sunshine can be great for getting much needed vitamin D, but don’t forget that UV rays from the sun can be dangerous too! During UV Safety Month remember to protect your skin and eyes from UV radiation! Wear sunglasses, protective clothing, hats, and sunscreen to keep yourself safe this summer!
- July 18, 2019: Find a quiet, peaceful place on World Listening Day to enjoy the sounds of nature. Learn more about natural sounds in our national parks. #WLD2019
- Month of August: All kinds of health are important: physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and environmental. Celebrate your overall well-being during National Wellness Month.
August 15, 2019: Give yourself a break! Take care of your mental health and schedule some rest on National Relaxation Day. De-stress, relax, and meditate your way to better health! #NationalRelaxationDay
- August 25, 2019: Celebrate the National Park Service’s 103rd Birthday with a fee-free trip to your favorite park! Don’t forget the birthday cake and candles!
Looking for healthy fun during the rest of the year? Visit our Healthy Parks Healthy People Events page to find more ways to improve your health in parks.
Last updated: June 21, 2019