Bring the park to your classroom and/or your classroom to the park!
Want to enrich your classroom activities? Need to use some materials to bring your in-class lessons to life? Perhaps one of our traveling trunks with materials and suggested lesson plans can help. Would you like our staff to assist with classroom activities? Your national park, right here in the nation's capital, can help. Students can hear birdsongs in the classroom, feel animal skins and find out why animals are dressed the way they are, learn where animals live, or head outside and use some tools of discovery. Nature and history is all around, let us help you bring it to your students.
Need to make a reservation?
Programs and materials are free but must be reserved a minimum of two weeks in advance. Call us at 202-895-6070 Wednesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to speak with us.
Urban Wildlife Kits
• The kits are designed for pre-K through third grade and are available for loan from the Nature Center. They are designed for hands-on lessons focusing on habitats and adaptations. The kits have more than 175 items, including a teachers guide, books, photographs, birds with song sound, fur boxes, magnifying glasses, binoculars, animal tracks for comparison, field guides for identification, and much more.
• The kits must be picked up and returned in person and can be kept for up to three weeks.
• Lesson plans include Explore Rock Creek Park, You Can Help the Earth, Changing Habitats, and Schoolyard Exploration: My Backyard Habitat.
Ranger in the Classroom
• We have limited spots for a park ranger to come speak with your class or bring some materials to help students learn about Rock Creek Park.
• Classroom visits are in the afternoon and available Wednesday through Friday on a first come, first served basis.
Need to pick-up a kit?
The Nature Center is at 5200 Glover Road, NW, Washington, D.C. 20015
Need to contact us?
Need to change or cancel your reservation?
Call us at 202-895-6070 Wednesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Last updated: September 7, 2023