Fort Scott: Battery Blaney (1900-1920)

Battery Blaney during construction of the Presidio Parkway.
The four gun emplacements of Battery Blaney are seen adjacent to the Presidio Parkway construction zone with the Golden Gate Bridge visible in the far left. Graffiti has become a constant issue with the gun batteries in this area.

National Park Service, GGNRA


General Information

This Endicott-era battery was built to protect the inner harbor and completed and armed in 1900 with four 3-inch, 15-pounder rapid-fire guns on balanced pillar mounts. These guns had a range of 5 miles and could fire at the rate of twenty to thirty rounds per minute for short periods. After the early abandonment of this battery—when the submarine mines were moved to outside the Golden Gate—its magazines were used for storage and the Fort Scott boundary was redrawn to place the battery within the Presidio of San Francisco.

Origin of Name

Battery Blaney was named in honor of Lieutenant Daniel Blaney, Third Artillery, who was killed by the British at Fort Oswego, New York, in 1814.

Access and Current Condition

Battery Blaney is located near the San Francisco National Cemetery and the cavalry stables. The battery is currently not accessible during construction of the adjacent Presidio Parkway.


Last updated: February 28, 2015

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

201 Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123


Phone is answered daily from 10 am to 5 pm. Leave a message otherwise and we will get back to you. United States Park Police Dispatch: Non-Emergency: 415-561-5505 Emergency: 415-561-5656

Contact Us