Fort Scott: Battery Baldwin (1901-1920)

Battery Baldwin
Battery Baldwin was armed with two 3-inch 15 pounder rapid-fire guns on balanced pillar mounts.

San Francisco History Center, S.F. Public Library


General Information

Built to protect the inner harbor, this Endicott-era battery was completed in 1901 and armed with two 3-inch, 15-pounder rapid-fire guns on balanced pillar mounts. These guns had a range of five miles and could be fired at the rate of twenty to thirty rounds per minute for short periods. After the early abandonment of this battery—when the submarine mines were moved to outside the Golden Gate—its magazines were used for storage and the Fort Scott boundary was redrawn to place the battery within the Presidio of San Francisco. For many years it was believed construction of the Doyle Drive approach to the Golden Gate Bridge had destroyed the disarmed battery. However, the California Department of Transportation recently uncovered it while excavating the area.

Origin of the Name

Battery Baldwin was named in honor of Lieutenant Henry Baldwin, who served in the Fifth Artillery during the Civil War. Baldwin died of wounds received at Cedar Creek, Virginia, in October 1864.

Battery Baldwin today
A modern-day view of Battery Baldwin. Crissy Field can be seen in the background.

National Park Service, GGNRA


Access and Current Condition

Battery Baldwin is located at the Presidio near the San Francisco National Cemetery and the cavalry stables. It is currently in the construction zone of the new Presidio Parkway and is inaccessible. Its current condition is unknown, but very little was visible before the construction began.


Last updated: February 28, 2015

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

201 Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123


Phone is answered daily from 10 am to 5 pm. Leave a message otherwise and we will get back to you. United States Park Police Dispatch: Non-Emergency: 415-561-5505 Emergency: 415-561-5656

Contact Us