Last updated: January 1, 2022
Beach/Water Access, Scenic View/Photo Spot
Sculptured Beach is located two miles southeast of Limantour Beach, which is the closest place to park. From the Limantour Beach parking lot, walk about 440 yards (400 meters) to the beach, turn left and walk southeast on the beach. Sculptured Beach begins where the beach changes from sandy to partly rocky. Winter rains feed two creeks which stream across the sand into the ocean creating a wet barrier for beach walkers wishing to keep their feet dry. Once at Sculptured Beach, look for its namesake rocks lying on the shoreline. The sculptured rocks are exposed at low tide, along with the organisms that cling to them, creating an exciting area to go tidepooling.
Visit the park's Hike to Sculptured Beach page for details on other routes to follow to get to Sculptured Beach.
Hypothermia (the ocean water may be as low as 50°F [10°C]), sneaker waves, and rip currents are just a few beach hazards of which visitors should be aware while visiting Point Reyes Beaches. Please visit our Safety Issues Associated with Beaches page for more information.
Take caution when exploring the rocky promontories at the south end of Sculptured Beach. Visitors have been trapped by incoming high tides. The south end of Sculptured Beach should only be explored at a low or outgoing tide. Tide Predictions for Point Reyes may be found on NOAA's Tides and Currents site.
- Glass: Glass containers are prohibited on all Point Reyes Beaches.
- Take only pictures; leave only footprints: Almost everything one finds at Point Reyes' beaches is protected by law, including shells, rocks, fossils, flowers, and artifacts.
- Wildlife: Do not chase or feed the gulls (or any other birds) and keep your distance from seals and sea lions.
- Drones: Launching, landing, or operating a drone from or on lands and waters within the boundaries of Point Reyes National Seashore is prohibited.
- Metal-detectors: Metal-detectors are prohibited throughout the National Seashore.
- Pets: Pets are not permitted on Sculptured Beach. Visit our Pets page for more information.
- Camping: Camping on Sculptured Beach is prohibited, but is permitted 0.8 miles (1.3 kilometers) to the northwest at Coast Campground. Visit our Backcountry Camping page for more information on camping at Point Reyes.
- Wood fires: A permit is required to have a wood fire at any beach in Point Reyes National Seashore. Visit our Beach Fires page for more information.
- Fishing: Fishing is permitted at Sculptured Beach. Please visit our Fishing page for more information and regulations.
Visit the park's Beaches of Point Reyes page for more details.
Help Keep Your Beaches Clean!
Follow Leave No Trace Principles to reduce our impact on the places we love. Use the vault toilet at Limantour Beach or Coast Campground before heading to the beach. Please help protect marine life and keep your park beaches clean by disposing of trash in the garbage cans located at Limantour Beach or Coast Campground. If you build any driftwood structures during your visit, please disassemble them before you leave.