Last updated: August 9, 2023
11 miles northeast of Longmire on Paradise Valley Road
Audio Description, Grill, Parking - Auto, Pets Allowed, Picnic Table, Restroom, Restroom - Accessible, Trash/Litter Receptacles, Water - Drinking/Potable
Season: Summer (June to September)
- The Paradise Picnic Area is typically open late June to late September depending on weather and road conditions.
- The Paradise Picnic Area is located 11 miles northeast of Longmire on the Paradise Valley Road on the right side; 0.5 mile southeast of the Jackson Visitor Center and 0.2 miles southeast from the lower parking lot at Paradise. There is a short connector trail with stairs down from the Paradise lower parking lot to the picnic area.
- The picnic area features 100+ picnic tables with grills dispersed throughout; potable water is located at the restrooms. There are three accessible picnic tables and two accessible parking spaces located near the restroom in the center section of the picnic area, after the first loop and south of the second loop.
- The Paradise Picnic Area was built in the meadow known as Barn Flat as part of the Mission 66 program from 1956 to 1966 to develop more picnic areas and campgrounds. Mount Rainier National Park was at the forefront of this program, serving as the first national park to have a Mission 66 development plan.
Rules & Regulations
- As you enjoy a picnic here, please be mindful of your impact to the landscape, wildlife, and other visitors. Trash cans are located near the restrooms for you to clean up and dispose of all waste.
- Please empty wastewater in sinks and deposit any solid food waste into trash cans.
- Never feed any wildlife or leave food unattended to avoid wild animals getting food that could make them sick or cause them to act aggressively.
- While there are grills throughout the picnic area, open fires are not allowed outside of the grills, and you must follow any fire restrictions in place.
- Pets must be on a leash, not more than six feet (1.8 meters) in length or in a crate/cage at all times.
- Pets are allowed along the road and paved sidewalks and may join you at your picnic at tables. Pets are not allowed on any trails in Mount Rainier National Park.
- There are many small, maintained paths to get to and between picnic tables. Stay within the established pathways to reduce impact on the surrounding vegetation.
- If you choose to play music, please be aware of volume out of respect for other visitors and wildlife.