Permits & Reservations

Providing opportunities for appropriate public enjoyment is an important part of the National Park Service mission. Ninety Six National Historic Site is not only a significant historical site, but also holds beautiful natural landscapes which are ideal venues for a variety of special activities. In order to coordinate special park use events, and ensure the preservation of the park's history and resources for the enjoyment of all visitors, most special events and activities held in the park require a special use permit, issued only after the National Park Service (NPS) determines, from the applicant's information, that the activities involved will not impair park values and resources.

Who needs a Special Use Permit?

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large and require some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect park resources and the public interest. These special use permits must be obtains in advance and may require payment of a fee. Some examples of special uses that require permits are:

  • Reserving the picnic area: Reservations are required for groups of 15-75.
  • Commercial filming and photography: Learn about guidelines and requirements.
  • Commercial tours: Commercial tours are only allowed via a Commercial Use Authorization. The term of a CUA may not exceed 2 years and no preferential right of renewal or similar provisions for renewal may be provided.
  • First Amendment activities: Political events, public assemblies, demonstrations, the distribution of literature, and other similar activities.
  • Weddings (and other ceremonies): Plan your special day in the park.
  • Scientific Research: Research and collection activities within Ninety Six National Historic Site are managed to prevent damage to the resources, to coordinate research activities, and to assist in the application of science to the management of the park.
General Permits
Special uses, events, first amendment activities, and any potential ground-disturbing activities in the park require the issuance of a special use permit. Download and print the Special Use Permit Application.

For more information, please call the Special Use Permit Coordinator, located at Cowpens National Battlefield, at 864-461-2828 x 2102.


Last updated: October 3, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Ninety Six National Historic Site
1103 Hwy 248

Ninety Six, SC 29666


(864) 543-4068

Contact Us