Schedule: Construction underway Completion anticipated Fall, 2013
Location: 17th St., NW, between Constitution and Independence Avenues, and extending into Constitution Gardens and the Washington Monument grounds
Goals of project:
• Improve the reliability of the river flood protection for the monumental core of Washington, DC.
• Install levee components consisting of permanent walls on both sides of the street, and a removable barrier system in street which will allow insertion of post and panel flood control structure when needed.
Impacts/opportunities for visitor to consider:
• construction entrances on both sides of 17th Street
• lane closures on 17th St through project life, but a minimum of one lane in each direction open at all times.
• Occasional sidewalk closures 17th St, Washington Monument grounds and constitution Gardens
Funding: Corps of Engineers ARRA funding, NPS Dam Safety Funding, total both sources $3.8 M