With limitations, the National Park Service normally grants permission to those wishing to scatter cremated remains within the borders of Gulf Islands National Seashore. To receive permission, please submit a Special Use Permit application as indicated above. With a Special Use Permit, you will be permitted to scatter cremated remains with the following general conditions:
· Federal regulations (40 CFR 229.1) prohibit the scattering of cremated remains in ocean waters within three miles of land and the Clean Water Act regulates the activity on inland waterways. As such, cremains must be scattered at least 100 feet away from any inland or coastal water course, including ponds, streams, marshes, and tidal waters.
· No teeth, bone fragments, or other remnants recognizable as human remains may be scattered.
· Cremains may not be scattered in any developed areas such as roads, parking areas, trails, forts, campgrounds, maintained grounds, etc. They are to be scattered at least 100 feet from these areas.
· Cremains must be spread over an area large enough that no single portion is accumulated in one place.
· No markers of any kind may be left to commemorate the event.
Last updated: December 18, 2015