Big Bend is very remote; it is not unusual for visitors to arrive after normal business hours. Park entrances are always open, but entrance fee stations and visitor centers may be closed before you arrive.
Visitors who arrive after hours are required to pay the entrance fee or show an applicable pass at the Panther Junction or Basin Visitor Center in the morning.
A valid receipt will be issued to display on your windshield.
Camping and Lodging
- Backcountry Use Permits: issued only during business hours at any visitor center; backcountry camping without a permit is strictly prohibited.
- Camping without reservations: self-register at a developed campground (Rio Grande Village, Chisos Basin, or Cottonwood).
- Camping with reservations: check the map at your campground to locate your site number.
- RV hook-ups: located near the store at the Rio Grande Village. For availability and reservations, call 1-877-386-4383.
- Lodging: Chisos Mountain Lodge office hours are 7:00am–9:00pm. For availability and reservations, call 1-877-386-4383.
What should I do if the park is full when I arrive?
There are several options for staying in private campgrounds near either of the park's two entrances or in hotels in the surrounding area. For more information on camping, lodging and other activities outside the park please visit the VisitBigBend.com website.
Visit the camping page for information about camping in the park. See the weather page for local forecasts, park notices, and campground updates.