National Park Service regulations allow outings conducted for non-commercial educational purposes by schools and other bona fide academic institutions to obtain a waiver of park entrance fees, provided the visit is for educational purposes, and the resources or facilities that the group intends to use support those purposes.
Academic fee waivers are not granted automatically. Applicant groups must demonstrate that they qualify for the waiver. There are three requirements (listed below) that groups must meet to qualify for an academic fee waiver: eligibility, educational purpose, and relevancy of park resources or facilities.
Requirement #1 - Eligibility
National or international applicants must prove they are a school or bona-fide academic institution by submitting one of the following types of documentation:
- A statement confirming educational or scientific tax exemption from the IRS or the applicant's national, state, or local tax authority;or
- A statement from a bona fide academic institution that meets one of these eligibility standards confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable academic credit based on a curriculum; or,
- A statement confirming accreditation or recognition as an educational institution from a qualified national, regional, state, or local authority for the applicant's location.
Requirement #2 - Educational Purpose
Applicants must provide a written statement confirming that the visit supports a specific curriculum for which academic credit is offered. If the group is on a commercial tour, the applicant must state how the tour supports the curriculum. In addition, it is the responsibility of the school group to submit the request for academic fee waiver, not the commercial tour company.
Requirement #3 - Relevance of Park Resources
Applicants must provide a written explanation identifying the park resources and/or facilities that will be used to support the educational purpose of the visit, and how they are relevant to that purpose.
How to Apply
Submit a completed application form (below) along with required supporting documentation. You may apply via email or mail.
Academic Fee Waiver Application
In your email or letter, please include the following information:
- Which parks you intend to visit
- Number of vehicles (bus, mini-bus, van, sedan)
- Arrival date and departure date
Revenue and Fee Business Manager
Southeast Utah Group
2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532
Note: Applications must be received three weeks prior to your anticipated arrival date at the park.