Road Construction and Delays
2015 Scheduled Road Construction
Reference the numbered dots and map below to see where road construction is scheduled. Check here for current road status.
Norris to Mammoth (Norris to Golden Gate):
April 17 to October 1, expect traffic delays up to 30 minutes.
Old Faithful to West Thumb (Craig Pass—Isa Lake Bridge Bridge Replacement):
• Closed until June 11 at 7:00 a.m.
• June 11 through September 10: expect traffic delays up to 30 minutes. (Visitors are able to access Lone Star Geyser on the west side and DeLacy Creek trailhead on the east side.)
Motorcyclists are advised to slow down and use extreme caution on loose gravel in construction areas.
General Road Construction Information
Road construction is perennial in Yellowstone National Park. In general, park roads have either been recently repaired or reconstructed, or are scheduled for repair or reconstruction. Approximately 80% of main park roads (about 185 mi or 295 km) are in a structurally deficient state, with poor quality road bases failing under the weight, speed, and volume of modern traffic for which they were not designed. Harsh winter weather and short construction seasons provide additional challenges.
These needs are now being addressed under a 20-year, $300 million Federal Lands Highway Program for Yellowstone National Park. In addition, park road repair crews will be working in other areas of the park throughout the seasons.
Yellowstone reconstructs its roads during the spring, summer and fall seasons, which means you will likely encounter delays depending on your destination. It's a good idea to check with our visitor centers or entrance stations for current information and possible delays.
Recommended Road and Construction Resources Before Traveling
Information about our roads.
- Yellowstone's Park Roads page for the current road status.
- Current road information by phone: 307-344-2117
Information about Montana road projects.
Information about Wyoming road projects.
Grand Teton National Park Info
Information about their roads.
- call 307-739-3614
- Grand Teton's newspaper includes a road construction map for further reference and can be found online at www.nps.gov/grte, or picked up at any park entrance station or visitor center.
Other Numbers to Call for Road Information
- Beartooth Highway: 1-888-285-4636
- Cody Chamber: 1-800-393-2639
- Red Lodge Chamber: 1-888-281-0625
- Cooke City Chamber: 406-838-2495